Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on VFD and other electrical questions get a Delta Rockwell 34-395 saw running

James, one thing to keep in mind. You said you might also add a 3 phase band saw. You would probably need to add a second VFD. VFDs cannot be shared except under limited circumstances. If you were considering other 3 phase equipment down the road - planer, jointer that sort of thing, a VFD might not be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have found it is well worth it to install a few twist lock inline cord plugs to supply the motor from the switchgear. This allows you to do all the wiring and testing up on the bench. Once you get it figured out then you stand on your head to install it and quickly plug things in down there. If you ever need to pull a motor to work on bearings or belts it is pretty easy to just unplug it from the power supply.
    I buy twistlocks cheap at habitat and yard sales. I only need to get one set to mate. No need to worry about matching existing ones for this use.
    When pulling a motor the first time it feels good to cut the supply line with garden lopers as close the motor as I can. I think of all the stuff inside the motor box I get to ignore until it is up on the bench. where I can see it.
    Bill D

Great advice, thank you Bill.

At this point, I think I'll be going with a rotary phase converter, but I still would like the option of possibly using a VFD, if I could use an inexpensive one.

After reading your post and that you were able to figure it out eventually from them manuals and YouTube, I will download the manual for the VFD I'm considering and see if I can figure it out or get close enough in understanding how to do it to be willing to take the plunge. I do have a little unused 1/2 hp motor and an unused 1.5hp 3-phase motor and I might buy a small VFD to just practice on those two motors to try to learn how to connect and program a VFD.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    James, one thing to keep in mind. You said you might also add a 3 phase band saw. You would probably need to add a second VFD. VFDs cannot be shared except under limited circumstances. If you were considering other 3 phase equipment down the road - planer, jointer that sort of thing, a VFD might not be the best choice.
    Yes, thank you, I was aware that a VFD can only be used on one machine. Another reason I think I'll end up with a rotary phase converter.

Sorry to bounce back and forth with questions and my uncertainty......were you experienced at all with VFD's previously and if not, was it easy for you to deciper the parameters in the manual and program it properly? What happens if you do not program it properly? Will you wreck the motor or will the motor just not run? Will you wreck the VFD? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by James Goodman View Post
    Sorry to bounce back and forth with questions and my uncertainty......were you experienced at all with VFD's previously and if not, was it easy for you to deciper the parameters in the manual and program it properly? What happens if you do not program it properly? Will you wreck the motor or will the motor just not run? Will you wreck the VFD? Thanks.
    kinda hard to answer.
    I have installed/changed out around 30-40 vfd's over the last 30 years. However my short term memory is not good. Doctor says everything is normal, but I can't remember alot of what I have done recently. When installing a vfd now I glance thru the manual and wire it up. Then start it up and enter the motor information, most of the time I go with what feels right but can't explain to anyone else why. The manuals have all kinda information, most of which is not needed for what you are doing. The vfd's are so simple to program for BASIC USE, however computer chips are cheap and powerful compared to what used to be. Now all kinds of options are available very cheap so they get included. The vfd will have some basic programs that if you use one the defaults are good enough. JUST enter motor amps, speed, voltage, etc. then if needed change only the parameters that have to be to enable remote start/stop, ramp speed(I rarely change default).
    The vfd I posted is $96.66 plus tax, was easy install and works. I will someday change it to external start/stop, don't use it enough now to have done it yet. This one will get your feet wet without breaking the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    kinda hard to answer.
    I have installed/changed out around 30-40 vfd's over the last 30 years. However my short term memory is not good. Doctor says everything is normal, but I can't remember alot of what I have done recently. When installing a vfd now I glance thru the manual and wire it up. Then start it up and enter the motor information, most of the time I go with what feels right but can't explain to anyone else why. The manuals have all kinda information, most of which is not needed for what you are doing. The vfd's are so simple to program for BASIC USE, however computer chips are cheap and powerful compared to what used to be. Now all kinds of options are available very cheap so they get included. The vfd will have some basic programs that if you use one the defaults are good enough. JUST enter motor amps, speed, voltage, etc. then if needed change only the parameters that have to be to enable remote start/stop, ramp speed(I rarely change default).
    The vfd I posted is $96.66 plus tax, was easy install and works. I will someday change it to external start/stop, don't use it enough now to have done it yet. This one will get your feet wet without breaking the bank.
    Thanks. You told me a lot that I needed to know.