Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on VFD and other electrical questions get a Delta Rockwell 34-395 saw running

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Goodman View Post
    Oh I see! Thank you for that distinction! It is a single phase input, so in that case, it sounds like you are confirming what Marc Fenneuff said.....that I match the hp of the VFD to the hp of the motor, is that correct? I will also confirm with Automation Direct from whom I will be buying the VFD.
    Depending on how they list the vdf. Fuji makes a frenic single phase only line of vfds (up to 3hp) and a 3p/1p line. The 3p/1p are listed as the output based on 3p input and would need derated)

It's sold a 60amp (20hp) but only outputs 27amps (7.5hp) on single phase
    20200404_113147.jpg

If you end up with a GS model VFD from Automation Direct, I can help you with the settings. I have a couple in use today, a 1HP on my drill press and a 2HP on my band saw, both with maintained on-off switches.

You will set ramp-up time, ramp-down time, and motor FLA to get running. Start/stop control based on your chosen switch. Most everything else can be left at the defaults.

Thank you, My motor is 5hp, 3 phase. I checked out that Fuji VFD and it's around $1300.....a good bit more than I want to spend on that old saw. I might have to look at a rotary phase converter if the the 1 phase-input/3phase-output drives are up there near $1000. The 3 phase input/1phase output are significantly less money, and I was hoping to be in the $300 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    If you end up with a GS model VFD from Automation Direct, I can help you with the settings. I have a couple in use today, a 1HP on my drill press and a 2HP on my band saw, both with maintained on-off switches.

You will set ramp-up time, ramp-down time, and motor FLA to get running. Start/stop control based on your chosen switch. Most everything else can be left at the defaults.
    Thanks for the offer. I haven't yet spoken to Automation Direct, but it looks like the only VFD they have with 1 phase input/3phase output that will handle a 5 hp motor is around $1000. which is more than I want to spend. I might have to consider a used rotary phase converter. The 3 phase input/1 phase output VFD's that handle 5 hp on Automation Direct are in the $300 range, which is what I was hoping for. I did find one on Wolf Automation for around $600.

https://www.wolfautomation.com/ac-dr...-240v-1-phase/

Blog Entries
    Thank you, My motor is 5hp, 3 phase. I checked out that Fuji VFD and it's around $1300.....a good bit more than I want to spend on that old saw. I might have to look at a rotary phase converter if the the 1 phase-input/3phase-output drives are up there near $1000. The 3 phase input/1phase output are significantly less money, and I was hoping to be in the $300 range.
    The 3hp would work. I have one on a 5hp jointer and a 5.5hp shaper.
    https://www.wolfautomation.com/vfd-3...gle-phase-12a/

Yeah I don't know your needs but I know several guys with home shops that have de-rated their 5HP 3PH motors with a 3HP VFD and been satisfied. If I needed 5HP or more I'd start looking for the parts for a home-built RPC. If I'd ended up with a 5HP old iron saw I'd have done the 3HP VFD, no question.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    Yeah I don't know your needs but I know several guys with home shops that have de-rated their 5HP 3PH motors with a 3HP VFD and been satisfied. If I needed 5HP or more I'd start looking for the parts for a home-built RPC. If I'd ended up with a 5HP old iron saw I'd have done the 3HP VFD, no question.
    While technically likely under the FLA of the motor plate (without seeing it I'm guessing 13-14FLA. ) The likelihood of seeing that on a TS is low. That particular model fuji is 12a 100% of the time and up to 18a for 1 minute at a 10% duty cycle.

I want to thank everyone for all the advice. I don't want to spend $700-$1000 for a VFD for this machine, buying from a vendor that has good technical support. I looked at documentation of the $300 5 hp Chinese VFD carried by GoHz.com and the instructions in the user manual are complete Greek to me. As I said in my original post, I can handle straightforward house wiring but really don't understand electricity and have zero understanding of motor controls. I'm very cognizant of the very real likelyhood that if I tried to hook the thing up myself, I'd either burn up the device, burn up the motor, burn down my shop, or electrocute myself. So, after spending the money for the VFD, I'd likely be out a few hundred more getting an electrician in to set the thing up, and I'd still not understand the device. So, I've decided to go with 10hp rotary phase converter, which I can wire and set up myself and then have capacity for other 3 phase machines I might buy (jointer, band saw, stock feeder, possible lathe) for about the same cost.

I'm forever frustrated by electrical teminology that I don't understand. I'm not sure how you guys have learned about motor controls, but many of you seem very comfortable with them. I'd welcome any suggestions for books or articles that explain them starting from......and I can't empasize this enough.....the most BASIC level. I need explanations as if the instructor is teaching someone who knows nothing.....I mean nothing....about electricity.

I'm forever frustrated by electrical teminology that I don't understand. I'm not sure how you guys have learned about motor controls, but many of you seem very comfortable with them. I'd welcome any suggestions for books or articles that explain them starting from......and I can't empasize this enough.....the most BASIC level. I need explanations as if the instructor is teaching someone who knows nothing.....I mean nothing....about electricity.
    When the VFD died on one of my lathes I got started with some advice from a friend. I have considerable experience with wiring, electricity, and electronics but none of it applied to programming the VFD. I bought a cheap chinese VFD, figured out the control motor wiring from the manual and by comparing it to the old VFD (pretty easy) then dived into the programming. I had made a list of the parameters on the old VFD but the new one has some different parameters and a lot of different terminology! It was a challenging puzzle, especially since I had no knowledge of what some of the parameters even did. But I finally figured it out and the lathe has been working well since. The manuals for the old snd new VFDs helped a lot.

Starting from scratch might be daunting. However, there is a lot of experience here and many are willing to help. Do you know someone locally that has some experience with this? That would be the easiest (and maybe the safest) way to proceed. The control electronics can’t hurt you (typically low voltage DC, like a battery) but the high voltage AC is another story.

Sorry, I can’t recommend a specific resource for learning about the AC wiring although there are lots of books - probably one at the local Home Depot, etc. Or safest, hire an electrician if an experienced friend is not available to wire up the potentially dangerous part, the power and the motor. You might even find an electrician experienced in installing VFDs, wouldn’t hurt to call some and ask. There are probably lots of youtube videos and web sites about wiring and VFDs but I haven’t checked.

JKJ

I have found it is well worth it to install a few twist lock inline cord plugs to supply the motor from the switchgear. This allows you to do all the wiring and testing up on the bench. Once you get it figured out then you stand on your head to install it and quickly plug things in down there. If you ever need to pull a motor to work on bearings or belts it is pretty easy to just unplug it from the power supply.
    I buy twistlocks cheap at habitat and yard sales. I only need to get one set to mate. No need to worry about matching existing ones for this use.
    When pulling a motor the first time it feels good to cut the supply line with garden lopers as close the motor as I can. I think of all the stuff inside the motor box I get to ignore until it is up on the bench. where I can see it.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-07-2022 at 6:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have found it is well worth it to install a few twist lock inline cord plugs to supply the motor from the switchgear. ...
    That sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    When the VFD died on one of my lathes I got started with some advice from a friend. I have considerable experience with wiring, electricity, and electronics but none of it applied to programming the VFD. I bought a cheap chinese VFD, figured out the control motor wiring from the manual and by comparing it to the old VFD (pretty easy) then dived into the programming. I had made a list of the parameters on the old VFD but the new one has some different parameters and a lot of different terminology! It was a challenging puzzle, especially since I had no knowledge of what some of the parameters even did. But I finally figured it out and the lathe has been working well since. The manuals for the old snd new VFDs helped a lot.

Starting from scratch might be daunting. However, there is a lot of experience here and many are willing to help. Do you know someone locally that has some experience with this? That would be the easiest (and maybe the safest) way to proceed. The control electronics can’t hurt you (typically low voltage DC, like a battery) but the high voltage AC is another story.

Sorry, I can’t recommend a specific resource for learning about the AC wiring although there are lots of books - probably one at the local Home Depot, etc. Or safest, hire an electrician if an experienced friend is not available to wire up the potentially dangerous part, the power and the motor. You might even find an electrician experienced in installing VFDs, wouldn’t hurt to call some and ask. There are probably lots of youtube videos and web sites about wiring and VFDs but I haven’t checked.

JKJ

Thanks John There are actually a couple of local woodworking groups that meet at the local Klingspor and Woodcraft stores, and I have not sought them out, but there very well may be someone in those groups that has experince with VFD's and I think I will check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks John There are actually a couple of local woodworking groups that meet at the local Klingspor and Woodcraft stores, and I have not sought them out, but there very well may be someone in those groups that has experince with VFD's and I think I will check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.
    There is a woodturning club in Greensboro, perhaps someone in that part of the state has experience programming a VFD for a lathe. The club may be willing to send out an email and ask members. Also, Frank Penta, well known woodturner and instructor, lives in Raleigh (Carrboro). Frank knows a lot of people, perhaps he knows just the person. I could call him later in the week and see. Frank is the kind of person who will drop everything to help someone.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    There is a woodturning club in Greensboro, perhaps someone in that part of the state has experience programming a VFD for a lathe. The club may be willing to send out an email and ask members. Also, Frank Penta, well known woodturner and instructor, lives in Raleigh (Carrboro). Frank knows a lot of people, perhaps he knows just the person. I could call him later in the week and see. Frank is the kind of person who will drop everything to help someone.

JKJ
    John, thank you very much for the offer to call Frank. I would like to take you up on that.

I have programmed 4 VFD's using the supplied manuals and a YT video or two to get the basics. It was pretty exciting getting that first motor to work on the workbench. I have remote ON/OFF and speed controls wired, it's not that hard if you see a video of somebody doing it.

Jim