Thread: Saving money on magazine renewal

Saving money on magazine renewal

A few days ago, I received my Motor Trend mag in the mail. It had a paper cover with a card on it that said it was my last issue. It offered a years renewal for one year at $8. Inside the mag was a subscription card for 'big savings'....$12 for a year, $22 for two.

Today I got an E-mail telling me they would auto-renew me at the 'special price' of $10 for a year.

I called them and told them to forget the auto-renewal, I wanted the $8 deal on my cover postcard. The nice lady had to look that one up, and confirm I had gotten the card on my cover. Once confirmed, she quoted the amount at $6, not $8, and I asked if I could extend the offer for a longer term.

Bottom line....I got 3 years for $20.

Like my ol' pappy said, "Always ask for the discount".
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-03-2022 at 3:58 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, Ive done the same but Ive been unlucky both times. I hope your experience is better than mine.
    * In one case, they promised a 2 year subscription for a good price - so I bought in. A few months later, they reduced the number of issues from weekly to bi-weekly. Theyve since closed this magazine.
    * In the second case, I got a good price for a couple years and a few mos later they reduced the number of issues from 9 per year to just 4 - and reduced each issue's pages/content by more than 1/3 of the pages. I wont be renewing.

We've had many discussions here about how tough the print media business has become, but I object to being deceived. (Yes both were clever and you couldnt claim false advertizing. But it was clear after the fact that they deliberately deceived their readers.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I agree Frederick, that it was misleading, but that was not my point. I was just saying that with magazines, there are a lot of price points, and it pays to look for the best deal.

I read a lot of magazines, and also have been burned by some. I will never go back to Pop Science or Pop Mechanics, as they have changed course drastically over the last few years. I know they have to stay relevant but I no longer fit in their demographic.

In this case, I am not too worried about the mag going out of business.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Yup. I understand Rick. Take care!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Like my ol' pappy said, "Always ask for the discount".
    If you don't ask, you don't get.

Often the mail order, including magazines, will drop prices if you don't bite on the first offer.

Since our local canned cat food supplies in the grocery stores have been a bit spotty, we started ordering on line. A few places prices drop after a day or two after viewing their pages.

Some will offer free shipping for orders over a certain amount. One problem is if you order more than two packs (48 cans) some of the cans get dented in the handling.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Occasionally, Woodcraft will email an offer of free shipping if I put something in the cart but do not finish the purchase. Sometimes it works.

Thanks Tom. That's a good one to remember.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.