Thread: Even a Pan can be "Smart"

Even a Pan can be "Smart"

When I bought our Café induction range a few months ago, there was an incentive offer for a free Heston Smart Pan that can communicate with both an app and the range for precision cooking opportunities, such as maintaining a precise temperature, etc. It's one of the nice things about certain induction ranges and cooktops. The pan arrived today and forgetting the batteries in the handle, it's actually a pretty darn nice SS pan! For the many decades I've been cooking, I not only never imagined I'd end up cooking with electricity (I despise "regular" electric cooktops) but also that the thing that the food goes in would end up having communication capability. LOL

IMG_1370.jpg

At any rate, I look forward to figuring out how to best leverage this. I do also intend to get the wireless Sous Vide probe to add that capability top-of-range since I use it a whole lot with a Sous Vide wand on the counter weekly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I look forward to hearing if it's just a gimmick or adds real value. Ours probably won't be here for a while; same with the sous vide probe as it's on backorder. I could see the pan being useful for things like those sauces that are very temperature sensitive...not that I'm a good enough cook to attempt those...but Mary is. I suspect it might be one of those tools that turns out to be more useful than initially imagined. The engineering side of me loves the idea of "closing the loop" between the pan and range. Just knowing when the pan is actually at the desired temperature should be a useful feature.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have to explore the app in my copious free time to see what the possibilities are. But yes, I suspect that it's really good for temperature sensitive things like sauces.
    --

I'm concerned that the pan would be smarter than the cook. Which would be totally true in my case.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I'm concerned that the pan would be smarter than the cook. Which would be totally true in my case.
    Yea...that's the risk for most of us.
    --

Refrigerators come with cameras so you can look, from the store, and see if you need to buy more. You can turn your oven on the same way. Isn't Bluetooth great? I guess it is ironic that Mr. Bluetooth got his nickname because eating too many blue berries permanently stained his teeth
    Bill D.

So this isn't the same pan that "smarts" when you get hit over the head with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    So this isn't the same pan that "smarts" when you get hit over the head with it?
    ROFLOL!

Hopefully, I'm not at risk for that, especially since I'm the one that does pretty much all the cooking...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Refrigerators come with cameras so you can look, from the store, and see if you need to buy more. You can turn your oven on the same way. Isn't Bluetooth great? I guess it is ironic that Mr. Bluetooth got his nickname because eating too many blue berries permanently stained his teeth
    Bill D.
    Ranges come with cameras too. The ETA on the Cafe range we wanted is Jan. 2023, kitchen will be done in August. So the range we ordered has all the bells and whistles and a camera. I can't picture ever using the camera, (pun intended) but we don't wan to wait until January for a new range.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jerry, I managed to take delivery of our Café induction range in about four weeks. Paul Franklin ordered white and had to wait a few months but AFAIK, got it early. Where/who you buy from may make a difference.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jerry, I managed to take delivery of our Café induction range in about four weeks. Paul Franklin ordered white and had to wait a few months but AFAIK, got it early. Where/who you buy from may make a difference.
    Actually had the 30" double oven version in white on order for nearly a year with projected availability in September. But I kept checking other stores every week or so and one day last month it magically showed as available at Best Buy, so I cancelled my other order and got it from BB in a few days later. So I suggest doing a "shopping" search on the model number every week or so; you might get lucky. Still waiting for the kit of black trim and the temp probe but at least we have the range.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

"Sorry Jim, I've decided I don't like cooking fish any more. Get the other pan to do it."