Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally (fuel pump)

Output is half the piston style but I preferred the crank but it's personal preference.

https://www.fillrite.com/rotary-hand...ary-hand-pumps

John, with all your machinery, having a reasonable size tank with a convenient pump on your property makes a whole lot of sense. I even toyed with the idea a little at our previous property but never did anything. And While I'm burning up a bunch of diesel with my site prep for the new shop building here, that's not going to be "normal" going forward, so taking the 5 gallon containers to Wawa for diesel like I did today ($6.19 a gallon, down ten cents from the last time) will remain my method. It would be nice to be able to tap into the heating oil tank, but I suspect there are, um...issues...with that kind of idea. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom,

I think the one that's still on the 55gal drum is just like that. If you get over this way sometime (near Knoxville) I'll gladly give it to you.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I think this is the exact same model we had in the 1950's. I remember it being really hard to operate, but I was little then. 25 oz. per stroke sounds pretty good. Better than 100 cranks per 10 gallons.

https://www.fillrite.com/piston-hand...included-fr152

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    so taking the 5 gallon containers to Wawa for diesel like I did today ($6.19 a gallon, down ten cents from the last time) will remain my method. It would be nice to be able to tap into the heating oil tank, but I suspect there are, um...issues...with that kind of idea. LOL
    $5.49 advertised price today here
    Should not be any problems with running heating oil AS LONG AS IT IS USED FOR OFF ROAD
    Ron

John, I appreciate the offer, but I'm tied up here looking after my 106 year old Mother. We almost never go anywhere having to look after this place, and all the animals anyway.

Maurice, It's a 2640. 1979 70hp category 2. I bought it in 1991, and with all I've done to it, it's about like a new one now, other than the way it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    $5.49 advertised price today here
    Should not be any problems with running heating oil AS LONG AS IT IS USED FOR OFF ROAD
    Ron
    It's not the use that's the potential issue as #2 fuel oil is pretty much the same as diesel...it's the tapping into/pumping up from a tank that's inside of the house. Not even worth pursuing.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    .....I bought it in 1991, and with all I've done to it, it's about like a new one now, other than the way it looks.
    I bought this new in 2002. I thought about selling a few times lately cuz its getting harder to use and get my body n and out of it. But like your JD... put some lipstick on it and its like new.

0B6A665A-B951-4B31-8D5A-A52EA89DCFB1_1_201_a.jpg

I pulled a huge cast iron oil burning furnace out of the basement of one of the old houses I worked on. The fuel tank was above ground outside. The guy that lived across the road drove a Diesel Rabbit. He burned the fuel out of that tank for several years after the owners gave him the tank if he moved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's not the use that's the potential issue as #2 fuel oil is pretty much the same as diesel...it's the tapping into/pumping up from a tank that's inside of the house. Not even worth pursuing.
    That and some of us have to worry about diesel gelling. Heating oil normally from a pump at a station will have anti-gel in it while fuel delivered for heating a house that has a tank in the basement doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    That and some of us have to worry about diesel gelling. Heating oil normally from a pump at a station will have anti-gel in it while fuel delivered for heating a house that has a tank in the basement doesn't.
    True, especially in the colder months, one would likely need to add treatment to the #2 fuel oil to use it for diesel fuel. The "stuff" that goes in is the primary difference between them.
    --

Tom M. King, you commented on your concern for sparks.

A few years ago, I had to replace an automobile in-tank fuel pump. You probably wouldn't have guessed it, but it sucked the gas THROUGH the pump, including the DC motor brushes. That surprised me. I would not have thought that it would be safe. The gas apparently cooled the electric motor parts. But even though there were carbon brushes in contact with the gas, there is no oxygen in the pump, so nothing can combust. But it made me wonder what would happen if you ran the think dry and kept trying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Fuel tanks are a very hot commodity right now. Our neighbor just brought in a Semi load.
    The neighbors got the full tanks unloaded and set up. Two 8 foot diameter x 20 foot tall tanks. they are in a hurry to get everything ready and have them filled because they have not used up all that was purchased on last years contract. I hope they get it done. Some weeks they burn over 1500 gallons.
    Best Regards, Maurice