Thread: Book Case Doll Case

Book Case Doll Case

I have been commissioned by my daughter to make this style of bookshelf for my 2 year old grand daughter. (Since I am the woodworker!).

Here is the object https://www.potterybarnkids.com/prod...s~bookshelf~56
    I am trying to figure out what material to use. Some random thoughts
    1. High quality plywood (baltic birch if I can find some) ok?
    2. 3/4 inch unless 1/2 inch would be adequate
    3. Paint it (would appreciate recommendations on primer and paint) in case she wants white or just clear finish (which one?)
    4. How would i make the corner joint? Just add some ripped plywood (say 1 inch width) and screw it in to the sides?
    5. I have access to a domino and Kreg jig.

Attached Images Attached Images

Plywood would be fine. If you can't get Baltic Birch, regular hardwood-veneer plywood would do, but I'd edgeband it. A couple weeks ago, MacBeath said they still have Baltic Birch for sale.

If your version is going to be as big as the Pottery Barn one, I'd stick with 3/4 ply. 1/2" ply would look pretty flimsy on a structure which is 56" tall. In fact, my finely calibrated eyeball says that Pottery Barn used 1"-thick material for the exterior parts.

The corner joints could be made with just the domino, and no reinforcement. The back is a big gusset holding the whole thing together. But adding reinforcement might make the construction easier depending upon your skills. Pottery Barn may have added those reinforcing things in the corners to make the assembly process easier; it ships flat, I'm guessing, and the purchaser has to assemble it.

I agree with Jamie regarding materials. The Pottery Barn web site says theirs is constructed "from solid birch wood, MDF and birch veneers" but I don't care much for working with MDF. I assume the solid birch is the cleats supporting the shelves and the "roof." If you look at the 360* view on the web site, it appears the back is made of four separate pieces - but I assume that's just to make packing/shipping easier. Stronger, as Jamie suggests, if it's a single piece - but that would be a place where you could use some thinner material without sacrificing a lot structurally.

The exterior looks thicker than the shelves to me, too. I don't know if you need 1" material for the exterior, though - I'd think about 3/4" with a face frame. I'd also consider putting a base on it to get that bottom shelf up off the floor and give it a more finished look (just my personal taste).

Thank you Jamie and Gary for your helpful comments. Any how to advice on painting or clear finishing?

I don't do much painting. My go-to clear finish is a couple of coats of de-waxed shellac (I use Zinsser Sealcoat) followed by a couple of coats of water-based poly.

Jamie which location of Macbeath had the baltic birch? Living in the south bay (sunnyvale) both locations are somewhat far. Miss the days when they had a location in San Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay Kumar View Post
    Jamie which location of Macbeath had the baltic birch? Living in the south bay (sunnyvale) both locations are somewhat far. Miss the days when they had a location in San Jose.
    Macbeath is down to one location in the Bay area: Berkeley.
    In the south bay, you might try Aura.

Oh I didn't know that about Macbeath SF. What a shame. Anyway thanks for reminding me about Aura, i completely forgot about them.