Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jointer recommendations - any G0858 fans?

I have a Shop Fox 8" paralellogram jointer and I love it. (It's a Grizzly with a different label.) The only problem I've had is the "trolley" wheel broke so it's no longer mobile. (I just ordered a replacement from Amazon as the Grizzly factory part is out of stock.)

If you can afford a Powermatic jointer, cool. And if you can find a good deal on a used example, double cool. But I almost never see good, used woodworking machines for sale in my area. When I do see them, they are way overpriced.

I often wonder if there's some OCD involved with woodworking machines. Ok, the underside of one jointer is beefier than another. That makes it heavier, but does it really make it work better?
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 06-28-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Yeah I rarely see used 8" machines in my area ever. Almost all are 6" (or 4") -- people must buy 6" and then want to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Alden Peterson View Post
    Yeah I rarely see used 8" machines in my area ever. Almost all are 6" (or 4") -- people must buy 6" and then want to upgrade
    I'm so glad I sought the advice of the good folks here on SMC before I bought my jointer. Everyone told me to save up for an 8". Sure enough, almost every time I went to flat plane, I had just enough jointer. With a 6", I would have been ripping a lot more. Although, it would be cool to have an "aircraft carrier" like David Marks.

started with an 8 and would never have less. Hand picked material boards at 6.5 or so say on a table top will work nicely and are stable and if you can pick your material you can choose centered hearts joined on straght grain and one board flows to another nicely. I could make a living forever on 8" but not less.

Next was a 14" and while I dont build with wide boards the machine is levels above the 8" General and that alone make it a joy to work on.

I had the straight knife version of this 8" and instantly regretted it. Had some issues with mine regarding the installation of a helical head that did not fit, and Grizzly ended up taking the machine back. Maybe my belt was loose, but the 3hp didn't seem like 3hp. It would bog down and stall right in the middle of a cut.

I went without a jointer for awhile after that, and ended up going with Grizzly's 12" V helical J/P combo. Always wanted the flexibility of having the extra width to go 9-12 inches. But 12" stand alone jointers are a big jump in price.

A bit of a compromise on a combo machine with the shorter 59" beds, but the extra width is worth it. And you get a 5hp motor that won't bog down in the middle of a cut.

the combos I have are 3 HP and they never bog down.

I'm surprised to hear about the Grizzly jointers bogging down. I've never had that issue. I seriously dogged it building my workbench. It has a hickory top and that stuff didn't phase my jointer. Maybe the machines from 12 years ago had a better motor, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I'm surprised to hear about the Grizzly jointers bogging down. I've never had that issue. I seriously dogged it building my workbench. It has a hickory top and that stuff didn't phase my jointer. Maybe the machines from 12 years ago had a better motor, or something?
    It's going to vary with depth of cut as well as width. I tend to take light cuts and seldom have any tearout with straight knives. Extra time to make more passes is not a consideration for me. If I were a commercial shop where time is money I'd want to make as few passes as possible.

Idk what you guys are putting through your 0858's that's bogging the machine down. Mine eats anything I throw at it and no complaints at all on finish, etc.