Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jointer recommendations - any G0858 fans?

Jointer recommendations - any G0858 fans?

I'm debating buying a jointer as while most of my projects have been small enough I can joint on my table saw, I've got some larger pieces now and am considering buying a jointer.

I'm currently looking at the G0858 as I have a helical cutterhead on my Dewalt planer and love it. By some miracle this jointer is even in stock right now, too.

Any thoughts or suggestions for alternative units to look at? It seems all in I'd be looking at close to $3k for this which seems like a lot. But then again this probably would last me the rest of my life.

That's a bit more than I paid for mine... regardless, I feel like it's a solid machine. No complaints really. Trying to be critical, they could have used a different mechanism to raise and lower the table but the lever works.

I think heavy machinery prices like jointers/etc have all gone bonkers as a result of covid supply chain issues. I should have bought one a few years ago when I was thinking about it. Alas!

I bought one in February. I liked the fact that it has a true helical head and is already assembled. Well the tables were out of flat by .007 and .012. They sent new tables and the infeed was .004ish out but the outfeed was really really flat which was nice. Kind of annoying to have to take it apart, reassemble, then painstakingly align everything, but I guess I know the jointer better now. I’m getting very straight boards which is great. Like John said I wish the way you raise and lower the tables was different, getting the outfeed table dead on is tricky, it moves too much sometimes with a small amount of force. Also the fence rides on the table which marks it up. I put a piece of uhmw tape on it to hep with that. Overall I’m fairly happy with it, not as nice as I thought it would be, I kind of wish I had dropped more money and bought a very nice machine with better table adjustments.

I had that before I upgraded to a 12" and my G0858 was the best jointer I ever had. Flawless every time and perfect out of the box.

I will probably be the minority here but I had the g0858 and I didn't like it. It seems underpowered to me. It is listed as a 3hp but seems to be weaker then the 2ho powermatic i had used prior to the grizzly. I ultimately sold it and went with a larger powermatic. For the 2 years I had that machine it was probably the biggest bottleneck in my shop. I did my research before purchasing and the reviews were almost all positive so it may have been a issue with my machine specifically.

Wow, such polarized experiences here

Maybe I'll get a Powermatic 60HH instead. Their parallelogram jointers are crazy but looks like the 60HH with mobile base is "only" about $3800?

I will say I like the aesthetics better on the Powermatic

Quote Originally Posted by Alden Peterson View Post
    Maybe I'll get a Powermatic 60HH instead. Their parallelogram jointers are crazy but looks like the 60HH with mobile base is "only" about $3800?

I will say I like the aesthetics better on the Powermatic
    A dovetail jointer for $3800? I would never go back to a dovetail jointer, but then again I’ve never had a powermatic dovetail. They may make good tools, that’s debatable, but I could never get over the mustard yellow color.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    A dovetail jointer for $3800? I would never go back to a dovetail jointer, but then again I’ve never had a powermatic dovetail. They may make good tools, that’s debatable, but I could never get over the mustard yellow color.
    I actually like the color

and yeah, everything jointer related seems insane pricing right now.

Maybe I'll just make a couple jigs and if those drive me nuts think about a jointer when they hopefully have come down in price.....

I purchased a G0858 in Jan of this year, wow what junk! After I fixed all of its problems that were fixable (not all are) I dumped it at a loss on craiglist. I stepped up to a Powermatic PJ882HH, obviously that's in a totally different class.

maybe I'll just do a planer sled/table saw sled until I can justify that price

Quote Originally Posted by Alden Peterson View Post
    maybe I'll just do a planer sled/table saw sled until I can justify that price
    I did the planer sled/table saw sled thing as I was trying to avoid buying a jointer. That was fine until I got beyond about 4 foot in stock length then it became unwieldly and somewhat unsafe for a one man operation, and just a pain. Bit the bullet and purchased a jointer.

The PJ882HH is a BEAST. I researched 8" jointers quite extensively after taking the $$$ hit on the G0858 fiasco. I assumed jointers in this class/price would be pretty much the same design, made in the same Asia factories. Turns out not.

The PJ882HH shares features from the 12 inch jointer class. I found that many of the 8 inch jointers sprang from a common ancestor or two but the designs have since deviated from the original significantly over the years.

Save some money and buy a planer with insert head. Setting knives isn’t that hard to learn and it’s better for a jointer since it’s hand fed.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Save some money and buy a planer with insert head. Setting knives isn’t that hard to learn and it’s better for a jointer since it’s hand fed.
    I've got the dewalt 735 planer with helical cutterhead (and a table saw).