Thread: “The Encyclopedia of How It Was Done”

“The Encyclopedia of How It Was Done”

Being of an age where I remember how we used to do or figure things out and realizing how our methods have changed, I think it might be a good idea to have a “How the Deadmen” did things encyclopedia. There is not a thing that has not changed, other than Neanderthals, over the last 40 yrs due to our digit head capabilities. We all take it for granted now, but let’s suppose the internet goes down. How were things done? If nothing bad happens it would be fun to just go through the different chapters for a laugh. “Hey, did you see this one? I can’t believe that is how things were done.”

Sounds interesting. How do you want to do it?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

When I was a kid house builders used skilsaws but no nailguns. My dad said in his day the sawing was all by hand. Around 1950 drywall and button board became common. But they still used plaster on top. By 1970 plaster was gone and skip coat compound was in.
    Bill D.

Frederick, I am not going to do it, but I think such an effort would have to be organized in a “by topic” area. How is it organized? Probably along the lines of the Dewey Decimal System. Remember that one?

If the internet went down, it wouldn't change my method of work too much but there are some things we rely on without consciously thinking about it, that's a whole other thread.

I like your idea, a few entry options could be things like,
    A "hack" was someone who did a poor job
    There was no such thing as a maker, only carpenters, bricklayers, painters, etc.
    Drawing plans with a pencil & paper
    Cordless tools were hammers, saws and chisels
    If we didn't know something we either found a pro or figured it out ourselves (no Youtube)
    We tightened things with screwdrivers not cordless drills

and many more..

How we used to do things wasn't always better or easier but it got the job done well, without "digit head capabilities" as the OP wrote

Great topic! I've been thinking about this a lot lately because I'm now raising three great-grandkids under the age of five. I married into a family with step daughters, so I never had kids around until I was 50 and had my first grandbaby. I'm changing diapers and cleaning up constantly, all with having the luxury of hot water and electricity.
    I keep thinking how did my grandparents do all this? They built a homestead in northern Minnesota starting in 1900 and had 10 kids. My dad was one of them he was born in 1915. I never met my grandmother or grandfather, but they must have been tough, creative and determined. To raise babies, feed them, clothe them, keep them safe and warm, with no plumbing, electricity or a motor vehicle. I do know my grandpa built a log cabin and the first kids were raised in it including my dad. In the 1920s they built a house out of lumber.
    As a kid and teenager I used to hunt on that land with my dad and he told me a few stories and explained a few things. One huge saving Grace they had was a pure artesian well always running out of a pipe into a well pit. I remember the first time I drank out of that well. I was really thirsty and my dad told me the story of how my grandfather discovered that land to homestead with that ability to have an artesian well. That luck and knowledge would be the equivalent of buying Intel or Cisco stock at the beginning of the internet!

More on topic I wish I would have interviewed my dad on tape or video before he died 30 years ago. I would have loved to ask him the details of changing diapers, meal Time everyday details. How did your mom and dad raise 10 kids when they were 70 mi from a hospital and a store and didn't have any vehicle other than a horse and wagon?
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 06-03-2022 at 12:05 AM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford