Thread: Stainless vs Chrome

Stainless vs Chrome

I have some bottle stoppers I bought several years ago and have never used. A friend wants to buy them but doesn't want to if they are chrome as chrome have been reported to tarnish over time with certain wines.

How can I determine which they are?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jim Hipp; 06-02-2022 at 7:37 AM. Reason: clarifaction

A magnet might help, chrome plated steel will be highly magnetic, high grade stainless isn't. Lower grade stainless is magnetic, so that's not proof. I'm not sure bottle stoppers are made of anything else, so if he doesn't want either way it may not matter. I suppose nickel plating could be nice, but I don't remember ever seeing it as an option. You could turn a brass one on a wood lathe with woodturning tools if you wanted to.

There are color differences, but they can be subtle, depending on the alloys and how the material has been finished or polished. If you scratch or drill into one you should be able to see whether or not it's been plated-- chrome will be plating, not solid.

I would assume most are stainless based solely on the use. I believe if chrome is exposed to red wine it will stain or worse eat the plating.

That is why he wants to make sure they are SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hipp View Post
    That is why he wants to make sure they are SS
    You may want to re-read your initial post and edit it. I am/was confused. Almost all stoppers are chrome or stainless, unless they are cork.

Think of chrome as a laminate... use a torch and see if'n it blisters or peels...if it doesn't it's SS

3CE2F7BF-13A3-4DD4-ADC3-CC780001C7C8_1_201_a.jpg...welded copper jacket with a nickel electro plate finish ....and with an intentional torching
    Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 06-01-2022 at 8:02 PM. Reason: added the jacket example :)

Clarification done.

I have some bottle stoppers I bought several years ago and have never used. A friend wants to buy them but doesn't want to if they are chrome as chrome have been reported to tarnish over time with certain wines.

How can I determine which they are?

Thanks.
    Maybe just ask the manufacturer ??
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    Maybe just ask the manufacturer ??
    Too many years have passed for me to remember

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    If there is an area on the stopper that would be covered up by the handle etc take a small file, (the finest cut you have, and hit it a couple of times to go deeper than a few thousands that would be the plating thickness. If plated you should be able to see a variation in the plating vs the base metal.
    mike calabrese

Here's a reason to avoid chrome. Approx 2 yrs old, stoppers were on red wine.

Chrome Stopper.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Here's a reason to avoid chrome. Approx 2 yrs old, stoppers were on red wine.

Chrome Stopper.jpg
    Thanks for this image. Do you remember where your purchased them?

Thanks for this image. Do you remember where your purchased them?
    I don't recall where these came from. I have switched to SS, but have yet to use them.
    Dick Mahany.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    here is a source for bottle stoppers , i have not reviewed the details but the info should be there. there are some chrome and some in SS.
    mike calabrese
    https://www.pennstateind.com/store/b...pper-kits.html
    https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entri...ottle-stoppers
    https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Last edited by mike calabrese; 06-06-2022 at 12:13 AM.

One of, if not, the best stopper suppliers. https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/