Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Reliability

I’ve been very pleased with the 3hp PCS I’ve had since ‘15. Cartridge trips have been on me. The saw has been reliable other than operator error and operator error is the best reason to have a SS. I would keep the order in place.

We use 2 ICSs at the furniture bank I volunteer at. Those saws get used and abused every day all day by a variety of skill levels ( and appreciation for tools) and they just keep on cutting. I've experienced 2 brake misfires on one of the saws both while cross cutting 2x3 pine. Maybe that machine is a little more sensitive somehow? If you cut a lot of particle board (we cut melamine predominately) you need to need to be somewhat diligent about cleaning or replacing the belts on a regular basis as those hard chips can embed in the rubber and eventually lead to slipping when cold.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just shy of a decade. No problems. Still smile every time I use it.
    This.....
    EVERY time I use the saw.
    5 hp 52" ICS for over 10 years. Tripped my brake this year due to wet wood.... No other issues.

Been a running a 52" SawStop ICS 3 HP in my hobby shop since 2016 and no problems. Great saw. Before the SawStop, I ran a Uni-saw for almost 30 years. Bought the SawStop after a near miss with the Uni-saw.

I'm curious why you even consider cancelling the order when you will train you Grandsons on it? Their fingers aren't of the highest priority? Table saw accidents happen with a horrible frequency, whether you have 25 years experience, or 25 days. Make a major commitment to the fingers of all the users. I didn't have a table saw accident, but I have 9 3/4 fingers. It took 2 surgeries and $15,000 in 1985 to fix the middle finger on my left hand. A Sawstop is way cheaper!

3 HP PCS, about four years. No trips, no problems. It is the only saw I let 'guests' use.

EDIT: Wow, I just looked, and I have had it since 2013....9 years. Time flies when you aren't looking.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-02-2022 at 1:03 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Have had my ICS since 2009. Excellent saw, a few trips, all my fault. Excellent customer service hands down.

Blog Entries
    ICS for ten years. Four trips, all my fault and all different mistakes.

I dont own a sawstop, and i generally think any saw under 1000lbs with a 10" blade capacity is beneath me; however, i have to agree with the grandson comments above. That is the #1 and only reason i would ever purchase a sawstop. My child is 4 months old, but i dont think i would trust anyone under 18 years old around most woodworking machines. The guilt associated with them screwing up and hurting themselves would be worth 50 sawstops to avoid. I would stay the course.

Stick with it Martin, a SawStop would be my second choice for a saw.

I had a General 650 saw previously, regards Rod

My local Woodcraft uses a Sawstop for all of their classes. I know they probably maintain it pretty well but every time I've used it in a class it's been great, and it's being used by newbies almost constantly. No noticeable wear and tear on it at all, and they've had it for years now. I've never asked about reliability but haven't ever seen the cartridge fire unnecessarily (granted, I've only taken a handful of classes there).

It really comes down to do you want that saw or not.

When I got my ICS it was my 3rd table saw and I didn't think it was anything special other than I loved the table size. Mine was plagued by problems and the customer service was a disaster. I ended up having to force the saws return via credit card company charge back. There's a big thread on here about it.

After it was gone I rolled the dice and bought a slider having never used or even seen one. Instantly I fell in love and realized that no matter how safe the sawstop tech was, I was simply safer off to the side where my hands never go near the blade, I can't be hit by kickback, and I don't have any lost dust collection blowing up on me.

No matter what saw and/or reputation you think you're buying into I think we are in a time where you need to expect it to have snags, you need to expect to have to due some tune-ups, you need to expect to deal with CS. Pick a vendor you like (I try to buy everything through home depot now) and just be ready to roll with the punches when the time comes as long as you are getting the saw that you truly want.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I think I just raised the blade too high and it somehow contacted, or thought it contacted metal. Kinda shook my head on that one, but when I replaced the dado set (sigh) and cartridge, all went well.

All in all, making a zero clearance insert is one of the more dangerous activities on a table saw, IMHO. Really have to make sure it doesn't lift up when lifting the blade. Not necessarily easy.
    Alan, use a small nail into the front of the insert so that the nail sits just under the table when fully seated. It'll hold the insert down while you raise the blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    All in all, making a zero clearance insert is one of the more dangerous activities on a table saw, IMHO. Really have to make sure it doesn't lift up when lifting the blade. Not necessarily easy.
    I move the fence over top on one side and hold the other down solidly with a push stick. Makes a scary task drama free.

I have a PCS in my temporary shop and I am not the first owner. It runs like a top and is an excellent tool in design and manufacture. While I GREATLY prefer a slider and will get back to one once my shop building is up, I can't say anything is lacking on the SS that I wouldn't complain about with any other cabinet saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...