Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Reliability

SawStop Reliability

I have a SawStop 3HP PCS on order. (It’s been on order for about 6 weeks.). I subscribe to a number of forums and have seen a lot of reports of problems. I know that people talk a lot more about the problems they’ve had and not nearly as much about the positive results. But, none the less, I’m growing concerned about so many reports of issues.

This saw replaces a General 350 saw that I bought new 25 years ago. That saw never failed in any way, but especially since I’m getting older I wanted the SawStop safety features for myself and my several grandsons as they learn.

So, based on all of the above and your experiences (and first hand knowledge), should I cancel the order?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Martin
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

I follow several forums also. I have a SawStop ICS that I bought to preserve my fingers. I also have a Delta Unisaw that is 35 years old in storage. The issues of reliability I have seen are false trips with no obvious cause. Cartridge cable has been blamed. The rev 3 cartridge has been blamed. False trips have been a huge, expensive headache for some users. For me, the saw just cuts wood without any drama. The Unisaw will go up for sale soon.

I've got one, with a Freud Glueline blade. I've started calling it the wood laser in mind, because it's so quiet and cuts so smoothly. No issues here, and it's saved my fingers once already.

Martin, I’ve had my PCS for over a decade now. No problems other than a fired brake or two. I recently picked up an ICS that had a roof collapse on it, the majority of the effort to get it back in service was cleaning the rust off the tables. The cabinet, trunnions, and main top was fine. The rails, and left extension was toast. So to answer your question- yes, they have been the most reliable machines in my shop.
    cheers
    Sean

I have a SawStop 5hp ICS, 36" fence, single phase in a home shop, no problems so far.
    At the High School where I work, they bought a SawStop 5hp ICS, 52" fence, three phase. There have been trips and blades ruined, cannot figure out why except one time an outsider came in and touched side of blade to slow it down after turning saw off.
    I definitely would not cancel the order. Cartridges and blades are cheap compared to cuts.
    Ron

I've had a PCS for over 10 years and no problems. Had a brake trip twice when I was careless, but it saved my fingers. Cheap compared to the ER.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought a 5HP ICS (manufacture date 2006, as I recall) at auction about 4 years ago. Original property of a technical college, but seems like it sat in the corner of a warehouse getting rained on intermittently for a few years. Had to replace the switch box and cartridge cable (fairly painless) and cleanup the tables but it otherwise it fired right up and has given me no trouble since I've had it.

The most impressive thing to me was the tech support I got from SawStop. I called, and they re-registered the serial number to me. I asked them at various points for advice how to get it apart and back together when I was reconditioning it (and later moving it). And that was all without any warranty left.

I've seen the intermittent posts about things as well, and I suspect it would be frustrating. But the more technology you add, the more chance something goes wrong. However, with a saw under warranty, based on my experience, I'd have faith they'd make it right of something did happen.

Blog Entries
    Just shy of a decade. No problems. Still smile every time I use it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

On my second SawStop. 5HP ICS. Used to have Contractors saw but I upgraded.

Two trips. Both my fault. One while raising blade to make new zero clearance dado blade insert (that was an expensive mistake.)

Keep the order. I've seen countless missing digits from table saws in the OR. Money extremely well spent.

The build quality is fantastic, and when you get the saw and see how all the parts are packed and instructions, you will be taking pictures of that and showing them to friends. It's the most organized assembly process I've ever seen of any device. Truly amazing.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I've had an ICS for 14 years. Replaced the start stop control box when it was a few months old under warranty. No issues since then and have never set a brake off and it uses the old original CB brake cartridge. At the time I bought it the brake was not the driving factor, it just looked like a better made saw than the other big names, but then again very few saws back then even had a riving knife.

Alan, how did the zero clearance cut cause the brake to trip? Just curious as I have a fairly new PCS and haven't yet made my zero clearance cut for my dado set.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    On my second SawStop. 5HP ICS. Used to have Contractors saw but I upgraded.

Two trips. Both my fault. One while raising blade to make new zero clearance dado blade insert (that was an expensive mistake.)

Keep the order. I've seen countless missing digits from table saws in the OR. Money extremely well spent.

The build quality is fantastic, and when you get the saw and see how all the parts are packed and instructions, you will be taking pictures of that and showing them to friends. It's the most organized assembly process I've ever seen of any device. Truly amazing.

If your going to let you Grandsons use the saw don't worry about reliability at ALL. Do not cancel the order. Get the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Alan, how did the zero clearance cut cause the brake to trip? Just curious as I have a fairly new PCS and haven't yet made my zero clearance cut for my dado set.
    I think I just raised the blade too high and it somehow contacted, or thought it contacted metal. Kinda shook my head on that one, but when I replaced the dado set (sigh) and cartridge, all went well.

All in all, making a zero clearance insert is one of the more dangerous activities on a table saw, IMHO. Really have to make sure it doesn't lift up when lifting the blade. Not necessarily easy.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I've had a 3HP PCS for about 6 years. Tripped the brake once for absent mindedly cutting a board with graphite cloth glued to one side. Other than that, no issues at all. Every time I turn it on, it puts a smile on my face because it's such a pleasure to use. Then again, I have a smile when doing most anything in the shop. Dust collection is better than 100% for most cutting operations.

I've had my 5hp ICS for about 6 years now. Never had an issue. I love it.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)