Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairing a mid century bench (tongue and groove)

Thanks everybody,
    The surface does not seem sticky when wetting. And I say I don't see glue but I am not familiar with stuff so not entirely sure what that would look like. I will say that the other joint on this table has visible glue beaded out in some areas.

I have three bar clamps. For a 60" piece would I need more than that even with the tongue and grove? (it pushes together perfectly tight/flush)

Is it possible to wet sand these areas? I live in an apartment with not real work area which is why I was hoping to avoid sanding or anything toxic like epoxy

Let's back up a minute. Does this joint need glue? It may be fastened in another way. Can you provide a couple pictures of the bench or table?

Don't use acetone as it likely will damage the finish along the joint.

Many types of adhesive may be fine and may adhere to the surface as it exists, test by applying a tiny dot where it will not show. Maybe glue on the end of a wooden toothpick. You will have to chip this off later with a pocket knife.

Double stick tape may be adequate for this joint if it is not stressed. If it fails you loose only time and effort.