Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thicknesser advice / chipped blades

Your experience reminds me of when I got my first jointer. I was excited about getting the new toy and wanted to do some test runs but I only had primed pine from some window trim work I had done. Ran that and immediately regretted it. There was some build up of primer on the edges of the board which left 2 distinctive nicks in the blades. Lesson learned quickly. Also learned that day how to flip the blades to the 2nd edge.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I don’t recall on the DW733, but the screw holes in the knives may be slotted a little. Definitely are on the DW735 knives. If so, knives can be be shifted a bit, which offsets the first set of nicks. Adds a little life to the knives.
    Earl

Man eats a big piece of humble pie...nail found in wood so culprit discovered.

I feel like an absolute doughnut but lesson learnt! Thanks for the advice though.

I have a hand held wand style metal detector I use on "found" wood. It's been a good investment. It's pretty sensitive, and will find broken staples and other very small items.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Letting the wood touch the floor, a dirty truck bed, sandy forks on a fork lift, thickness sanders, sanders of any kind, etc. puts grit on the wood. This will dull your knives. Putting wood on end on the floor makes the end dirty, and the end has to be cut off.

I keep a junk power plane handy to clean up dirty wood before milling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Willis View Post
    Man eats a big piece of humble pie...nail found in wood so culprit discovered.

I feel like an absolute doughnut but lesson learnt! Thanks for the advice though.

Haha, here’s a better one

I was out at a customer location with a report that the large planer wouldn’t feed well.

Inspected the planer, found two full length grooves in the table with the cast iron rolled up a bit like a ploughed furrow.

Customer had let a friend use the machine at night and he had run Timbers with some drywall screws through the machine and they were hard enough to damage the machine….

The increased friction with the furrow was causing the wood to feed in a rather inconsistent manner…….Rod

I have the 733 and really like it. One spare set of knives and a sharpening jig (William Ng video) keeps it fresh. I lift gently on the ends of long boards and get no snipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Willis View Post
    Thanks all - so "dirty" softwood is no good and time to stick to clean hardwood. Noted.

Being a newbie...is there anything at all, other than dodgy wood, that could be causing issues? Hopefully if I stick to appropriate materials, then I won't have a problem going forward.
    I don't now about 733 knives but for a while, 735 knives had a reputation for being pretty soft and easily chipped. People were having better luck with non-DeWalt knives made to fit DeWalt planers.