Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6" Dust Collector Hose Need Installation Tips

6" Dust Collector Hose Need Installation Tips

I'm setting up a new dust collector & I'm having trouble getting the 6" hose on some of the fittings!
    The hose is
    Flexadux PV from Woodcraft & the ID. is a tad smaller than 6" & the fittings I'm trying to connect to are 6' OD.

Anyone have any tips to get this hose on the fittings?

Doug

Heat gun. Don't burn your fingers.

A crimper can be handy as well.

Dawn dish soap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Heat gun.
    I thought about trying that, but I was afraid of melting it! I think the spring steel helix is the main issue.

A crimper can be handy as well.
    I don't have one yet, but I do plan to pick one up eventually.

The main problem I'm having is with the top of the cyclone Seperator which has a 6" ID. so the OD. is a little over 6 inches.
    I got the cyclone from a e-bay seller " Tian Studio" & it's made from 18ga. sheet metal, so crimping the outlet might be hard to do.

IMG_8517.JPG

The connection to the blower section is a ABS plastic fitting I got from Woodcraft, so I can always sand/grind that down a little if needed.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Dawn dish soap.
    Thanks I'll try the dish soap!

Doug

Ideally you don't want flex hooking directly to the inlet, for better separation. Between the motor and the cyclone there should be some give, if you have the cyclone hard fastened to the wall, so use a hose there. For getting the hose to fit, you'll likely have to be creative with some sort of PVC adaptor or make a sleeve from rings of ply/mdf.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Heat gun.
    Heating the hose worked, but no heat gun was needed.
    It went up to 91 degrees here in Southeast MI. the other day, after about an hour or so in the sun the hose was a lot easier to get on.

I just got the blower & cyclone connected the other day since they were the tightest pieces.
    IMG_8526.JPGIMG_8525.JPG

Doug

Cherne plug.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    Ideally you don't want flex hooking directly to the inlet, for better separation.
    I'm planning on running 5" metal spiral pipe along the wall with a couple of 4" & 2-1/2" drops, there will be about a 30-degree bend in-between the cyclone inlet & the wall.
    IMG_8530.JPGIMG_8529.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    Between the motor and the cyclone there should be some give, if you have the cyclone hard fastened to the wall, so use a hose there.
    The blower & cyclone are both mounted to the wall separately & there's a little bit of an off-set in the alignment of the two, so that's another reason I wanted the flexible hose.
    IMG_8528.JPG

Doug

It's tough to tell from your photos, but make sure your impeller is running in the same orientation as the cyclone. You will lose some efficiency if, for example the impeller is creating a clockwise airflow but the cyclone is designed for CCW flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    It's tough to tell from your photos, but make sure your impeller is running in the same orientation as the cyclone. You will lose some efficiency if, for example the impeller is creating a clockwise airflow but the cyclone is designed for CCW flow.

Yeah, your correct & I'm aware of that issue!
    Mounting Bracket 3.JPG
    However the only one's I have seen with a left-hand inlet are from a guy on e-bay & they seemed to be constructed out of normal HVAC sheet-metal. The "Tian Studio" cyclone I bought is made from 18ga. sheet metal & fully welded construction which should hold up a lot better.

From what I've read on the Bill Pentz web site it's more of a problem with the larger impellers & higher hp. units.
    Bill explains that at the bottom of this page https://billpentz.com/woodworking/cy...clone_plan.php

I also looked into the steel version of the Supper Dust Deputy & according to a e-mail I got back from Oneida, They stated that as long as there's about 1 foot of duct or hose in-between the blower & the cyclone the air flow is able to reverse without effecting the over all performance.

The cyclone I bought has a air ramp design with a center pipe that's about 18" long.
    IMG_8531.JPG
    That inner pipe & the hose on top will give the air about 30" to travel & change direction.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    They stated that as long as there's about 1 foot of duct or hose in-between the blower & the cyclone the air flow is able to reverse without effecting the over all performance.
    That is my understanding as well. Glad to see you've done your research.

I got my impeller and cyclone second-hand, and of course they were opposite, so I performed some major surgery by moving the motor to the other side of the impeller, and reversing the motor.

Carry on!

What will you put on the discharge side of the fan?

That unit is going to make quite a roaring noise. Is it mounted on a house wall or an outside wall?

Water under the bridge but here's what I do:

Make a small incision over the wire on the inside, grab hold of it and pull out several spirals, cut off.

This leaves a "wireless" section of flex which will easily slide over a blast gate or port.

In addition, you get a better seal because there is no wire between the clamp and the port.

More importantly, how are you going to seal that garbage can?

FWIW I use a Brute can with a bicycle inner tube fixed to the rim. Works great.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 06-08-2022 at 9:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    What will you put on the discharge side of the fan?
    The discharge side of the blower will be going into a cabinet I built that holds an industrial style cartridge filter.
    There's a picture of the cabinet in post 11 above! Here's a few more pictures of the filter & cabinet during construction.
    Filter Cratridge Side.jpgIMG_4756.JPGIMG_5543.JPGIMG_5561.JPGIMG_5526.JPG
    The reason I needed to build the cabinet is because this style filter is designed for air flow from the outside towards the inside.
    Naturally that is the opposite of the filters usually used for dust collectors! Awhile back I picked up 4 of these filters for $100 from a local shop that was going out of business, the filters were replacements for a commercial dust collection system & they were unused & still in the original boxes.

That unit is going to make quite a roaring noise.
    Yeah, the original design use to sit on-top of a 55gal barrel & it sounded like a small jet engine.
    Cincinnati 200S C-L Pic..jpg
    Hopefully the cabinet/filter will quiet it down some?

Is it mounted on a house wall or an outside wall?
    It's mounted to the wall of my detached garage.

Doug