Thread: Extending Porch Posts...

Extending Porch Posts...

Hi all.

I'm thinking of replacing 5 porch posts. Right now, they're 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 squares posts. I'd like to replace them with the turned posts you can buy at Home Despot. You know, the ones that are square bottom and top with the centers turned.

Anyway, you can only get them in 8 foot lengths. That works for three of mine, but one of the others will be 3" short, and the other will be 1" short.

The one that's 3" short doesn't bear weight. It swings freely when pushed. I'm not sure about the one that's 1" short.

I was wondering if anyone could think of a good way to extend these two posts. Any splice, scab, or whatever will be somewhat hidden in back of a wood fascia.

Thanks!

Do it at the base or top, depending on what would look best, by extending the base to the height you need. Clearing if it will be supporting weight take that into consideration in how you construct the extension.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Several of the posts on my daughters deck had rotted at the bottom. She didn't have the money to replace all of the posts at the time so we elected to remove the rotted portion and extend each post with a spliced on piece to support her porch roof. We removed each post one at a time while we jacked up the roof support beam to make the beam level. I spliced on new sections of 4 x 4* to the bottom of each post to make it the correct length for each location cutting a joint per the sketch below. I attached the new piece to the post with waterproof wood glue and construction screws.
    post.jpg
    We also added porch post feet to the bottom of each post to delay any new rot for years to come by allowing the post bottom to dry out.
    aluminum-post-pedestal-bases-4.jpg
    To prevent the foot from sliding I placed 4 screws down into the deck to locate the inside corners of the feet in the proper place. The foot was screwed to the bottom of each post as well.

* Measure your posts to insure you buy the correct size lumber to match your existing (or new turned) posts. We found that our existing posts were larger than a typical 4 x 4 treated lumber post.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-30-2022 at 9:12 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Just because there is no load on the post now, doesn't mean it's not meant to be load bearing. Any snow load on the porch roof? Menards sells a 9' post. https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...9637921&ipos=5

Wedge a 6x6 post piece at the bottom; Wrap the base in a molding.

If you are concerned about matching the other posts, cut them so the molding and detail line up, and use those 6x6s and molding to match. Add a similar molding at the top to complete the look, again, cut to accommodate the shape of the posts to match the two moldings top and bottom.
    Regards,

Tom

It would probably look best if all the turned parts are level with each other. To do that, you probably will have to add some both on the bottom and the top.

Thanks for all of the replies!

You all gave me some good ideas.

Thanks.

No idea where you live but wind and sesimic forces need to be considered or you may lose the porch.
    Bill D

At the bottom I would use pressure treated large enough to support the post. You could cut a round piece out of a 2x12, for instance. Or glue up a 2x6 to get the width you need (might need to just pocket screw it together if it is really wet). At the top, same thing but I don't think PT should be necessary. I would also make sure the bottom of the posts are all primed, including inside for a few inches. The 3 inch short post would get a disk of dimensional lumber top and bottom. The 1 inch short post could either get a 1/2 top and bottom for symetry or a 1 inch piece at one end. Getting the posts up on PT is likely to help their longevity. The ones I've seen have been normal softwood which is not going to last real long sitting on concrete.

Instead of trying to extend the columns Home Depot sells, you could consider another resource for tapered round fiberglass columns. I have installed a lot of these over the years and there are numerous manufacturers of this product. They all have a range of height where you can cut the column to length and then fit the base and capitol. I’m sure the suggestions above will work just fine, but the column options I get through my lumber supplier are much higher quality than Home Depot product, and very easy to install without the hassle of marrying different materials and achieving a uniform look. Good luck!

In the past when I couldn't add a footer or base I've used a forstner bit with an extension to bore a hole through two posts so I could slide a stainless pipe in the center. When picking out the posts I would find ones that didn't have any pith or even close to the pith to lessen the chance of the post splitting. With square posts I would clamp the two posts sections together and start boring from the bottom through the lower piece into the upper piece to make sure the hole is aligned. It works for an extension of up to 12".