Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome Question

Gnome Question

Turning these gnomes for an upcoming arts & craft show. My wife doesn't think I should glue on beards as most others have done with their gnomes. She thinks people should be able to see the contrasting woods.

What are your thoughts? Beards or no beards?
    Attached Images Attached Images

With beards would be my choice. You could make some with and some without to see what the public will buy.

If you decide NOT to glue on beards, I'd bring some "ready to glue on" beards to the show. Give them away as a free accessory, if folks want them. (Best of both worlds.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    If you decide NOT to glue on beards, I'd bring some "ready to glue on" beards to the show. Give them away as a free accessory, if folks want them. (Best of both worlds.)
    Yes, and show customers examples with and without beards. Maybe offer to glue one on if they want.

I kind of like the beards. Adds personality.

in this area of n. georgia we're covered up with gnomes, they're everywhere! ALL of them have beards even the women!

Those are really great. I say beards

I use ugly wood and beards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Turning these gnomes for an upcoming arts & craft show. My wife doesn't think I should glue on beards as most others have done with their gnomes. She thinks people should be able to see the contrasting woods.

What are your thoughts? Beards or no beards?
    Ricc do you make the little round balls for the nose and hats or do you buy them?

+1 for beards. I think people will buy them because they're cute, I doubt they care what type of wood was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    Ricc do you make the little round balls for the nose and hats or do you buy them?
    Lawrence, I use 1" spindle stock and turn a 5/8 to 3/4" ball. Then part down to a 3/16" and make the 3/16" portion about a 1/4" long then sand and part it off. Drill a 3/16" hole and glue it in.

Thanks Ricc. I assumed you did turn them given the different woods used. Seems like it would be very time consuming to make just one bead

very nice!

I vote for beards. In your photo they just look like they are missing something to me. Definately try some with and without to see if the customers agree.

I use plain wood for the body and cover with a beard.figured woods are used for the hats.

If they don't have beards I would expect to see a mouth of some kind...I vote for beards.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Alvarado View Post
    If they don't have beards I would expect to see a mouth of some kind...I vote for beards.
    Well, that's a pretty good point.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”