Thread: Spanish Cedar

Spanish Cedar

I have enough Spanish Cedar to make a gate and small fence near a hot tub (outside) I am thinking of staining it to match the house & other fence. I usually use Ben Moore water based stain. Will stained Spanish Cedar hold up outside?
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Spanish cedar is very durable outside whether or not it's stained. From the Wood Database:

Rot Resistance: Spanish Cedar ranges from durable to moderately durable regarding decay resistance, and is also resistant to termite attack; the wood is also reported to have excellent weathering characteristics. Older, slower-growing trees from the wild tend to produce wood that is more durable than wood from younger, plantation-grown trees.

John

I've had some Spanish cedar that liked to bleed these little glossy spots, I assume oil from the wood. I personally would not use a water based stain on it.

Spanish Cedar holds up fine outdoors with a protective coating. I have made some yard signs with it, coated with marine/boat formulated paint. So far so good.

Thanks for the replies, my main concern is the oil in the Spanish Cedar affecting the stain. Oil base stain is an option. I am just checking if anyone has any experience staining Spanish Cedar for outdoor use. I plan to stain the material before installing it.

Those “glossy spots” are most likely resin that was not set by a temperature high enough to do the job. In my experience it does not stop for quite a while. Causing me to require my supplier to state whether it’s been heated to 140 deg and any resin bleed through be returned for credit

Ed