Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw tires for the scm S400p/mm16

bandsaw tires for the scm S400p/mm16

I have a minimax mm16 bandsaw, bought in the mid-2000's. I am trying to locate a source of bandsaw tires for the tool. It has the tongue and groove tires, does anyone know where one could buy these?

Thanks,

Mac

https://www.scmgroup.com/en_US/scmwo...RoCoasQAvD_BwE

Not that link exactly, but that will get you there.

Parts Pronto that Tom shared is the correct (and I believe only) source. I might buy several spare tires. Centauro is no longer a supplier for SCM Group on bandsaws and there will be a finite number of spare parts available as time moves on. Hope this helps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Parts Pronto that Tom shared is the correct (and I believe only) source. I might buy several spare tires. Centauro is no longer a supplier for SCM Group on bandsaws and there will be a finite number of spare parts available as time moves on. Hope this helps.

Erik
    While I think the advice sound in principle, will old dried out rubber bandsaw tires be any good ?

Seems to me, the UK market is still selling Centauro CO series.
    I bought one of these for my acm star 600, should be piccies of the tire if you look.
    Quite a stretch these would need, seems too much, and about right fit for a 500mm machine, not really impressed with it being so thin either.
    It isn't the same as in the websites pictures.

But maybe that's just the price you pay for quick change features.

https://www.scosarg.com/tyre-for-sp400
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 05-28-2022 at 7:10 PM.

Thanks for the help guys.

Erik
    Hi Erik, You mention that Centauro is no longer making bandsaws for the SCM Group. Do you know who is now making the MM16 and larger bandsaws for SCM? Any idea how they compare to the Centauro saws? I assume that the S45N is still made by SCM, as it always has been.

--Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    Hi Erik, You mention that Centauro is no longer making bandsaws for the SCM Group. Do you know who is now making the MM16 and larger bandsaws for SCM? Any idea how they compare to the Centauro saws? I assume that the S45N is still made by SCM, as it always has been.

--Geoff
    Geoff, the newest SCM bandsaws I saw in person (Vegas 2019) looked very much like ACM machines to me. “If” they were ACMs, then there are at least two other US vendors you should be able to get the exact same machine from. Obviously, each dealer will put on their own guides, paint job, etc. but the basic machine is the same. I imagine the S45N is still made in-house. As far how they compare to each other, that’s a tough question to answer. Any Italian saw will be a lifetime machine. I am biased, however: There is Centauro, then all the others. Just my 2-cents.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    While I think the advice sound in principle, will old dried out rubber bandsaw tires be any good ?
    Dave, the Centauro tires are pretty “plasticky”, as opposed to soft rubber. They don’t glaze like power feeder wheels. We kept them around the Minimax USA warehouse for years on end an never experienced any issues. I imagine that as long as they don’t get exposed to UV or solvents, they’d probably be fine forever.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Those look like the old ACM SNAC machines, but with longer resaw capacity
    There's variances in the column on a lot of the Italian saws being sold now, Spagnuolo made a recent video on his SCMI 440 worth looking at to note the difference compared to some with a regular box beam, or tapered beam column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLhxTBywIXk

Maybe some differences in table slot depth, well that used to be case with Laguna SNA's having deeper slotted tables from ACM, and possibly a foot brake on some?
    Seen some old Felder's with all the bells and whistles.
    IIRC The SNAC series as with the SNA were made in Novellara, but maybe elsewhere also, not up to speed on this exactly, worth seeing if the Laguna's were made in the same plant;
    Can't find a close enough badge to see the SNAC's specs but the badge looks the same on some if that helps
    No shot of badge from what I could make out to see for sure.

Found a backwards Griggio SNAC 640 made in Reschigliano so more factories than I thought.
    well at least for Griggio, my SNA/star 600 has the ACM badge with the trees.
    GRIGGIO SNAC 640 Båndsav Bandsaw.jpg

The SCMI looks like nice machines to me, if a bit stretched looking, maybe not so much compared to the
    very very similar Centauro's, of which very seemingly a few flavours to choose from in UK, with the square column shape, from S&S place in UK.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 06-01-2022 at 5:16 PM.

Erik, I'm reading your post from last year and trying to also find tires for my MM16. I'm striking out at the moment. Do you know of any source besides SCM? Thanks,
    Bill
    Dave, the Centauro tires are pretty “plasticky”, as opposed to soft rubber. They don’t glaze like power feeder wheels. We kept them around the Minimax USA warehouse for years on end an never experienced any issues. I imagine that as long as they don’t get exposed to UV or solvents, they’d probably be fine forever.

Erik

So, I've just navigated the experience with SCM. Here are details for your benefit in case anyone needs to do the same...

Sent a request to SCM via web form: https://www.scmgroupspareparts.com/en/contacts
    Filled all info on form including machine serial number, I simply requested new tires for my MM16

The reply to my request by SCM North America (in Duluth, GA) tech support was received in 10 days. pertinent detail in reply - "Sold under our # 00F0900496H @ $43.00/ea., delivery: ~ 3 weeks. Please note our minimum order is $250.00"
    Next I called SCM @Phone: 866-216-2166
    I was informed I didn't yet have an account set up but they would typically do that for me within ~1-2 days. emailed partspronto@scmgroup.com with info for account setup: name, email, phone#, Billing Address, Shipping Address, as directed. Account was created and i received confirmation in less than 1 day.
    Called SCM back again at phone # above and placed my order. Payment type for me was major credit card... I did not need proof of a business or PO or anything out of the ordinary from a normal online consumer purchase. BTW - I did have them confirm both the upper and lower tires were the same.
    So in a few weeks, hopefully correct bandsaw tires for my MM16 will show up

Hope that helps somebody!
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 01-20-2023 at 2:46 PM.

Update: The MM16 tires I ordered from SCM on Jan 20 arrived today Mar 10. They were not in stock in the US and it took some time for them to be manufactured and arrive at their GA warehouse from the supplier in Italy, before shipping to me. Not a big deal in my case but just thought others may like to be aware of and expect about a 7 week lead time if needing to replace their tires...

That tire price seems surprisingly reasonable.
    Did you need to order the 250 minimum?

And are these tires ones that need to be shaved and balanced after installation?

Matt