Thread: Microsoft One Drive scam?

Microsoft One Drive scam?

I got an email the other day saying my Microsoft One Drive account is about to be shut down as it has'nt been used in 2 years and has links to log into it. I have never set up a One Drive account. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this email.

I don’t use Onedrive and never click on links in an email without investigating them.
    However I found this on the MS support website which might be useful:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-46a522919e45
    Look under ‘Other FAQs’, ‘phishing’
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 05-28-2022 at 9:39 AM.

Havent seen that one. But an email for something you dont use, that includes links, has high potential for trouble. Glad you dodged that bullet!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You must have better spam filters than my email provider. I see that frequently about many websites some of which I have never used.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    The links in emails are always suspect, IMO. Some are genuine, it is not real difficult to sort things into real vs scam.

If it is a known web site, use your browser to check on whatever is involved.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's good you are suspicious of emails like this.

I almost always delete anything that I don't recognize right away. If I'm unsure I may open the email but never click a link. First thing I do is check who sent the mail. If it is a legit message the email address should look very straight forward. In your case, emails for one drive would look like this:
    OneDrive <reply@mail.onedrive.com>

email@mail.onedrive.com

Usually spam or phishing email address would look suspicious like:

reply@onedrive.notreal.gmail.com

If you still aren't sure, safest thing to do is to open a browser and try to log into your onedrive account. If you have an outlook or Hotmail account Microsoft usually sets up a onedrive account for you too. If you do have a one drive account and you see nothing in it, it's fine to let it lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEL MONGEON View Post
    If you have an outlook or Hotmail account Microsoft usually sets up a onedrive account for you too.
    Also Office365...not sure about the non-subscription versions of the various Office apps, but I would not be surprised if a slug of OneDrive storage comes with those as well.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I just got an email about Office 365. I cancelled auto renewal which I probably didn't need to do since the credit card they had was not valid anymore. I understand there's a free office I can use instead of paying $100 a year. I just don't use it very much.