Thread: Looking for design help and plans for large custom built in library cabinets

Looking for design help and plans for large custom built in library cabinets

Hi,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I would like to build some built in bookshelves with lower cabinets and a library ladder (quiet glide) for my own hope in the near future and have my own full workshop. The room space is both large and tall and i am not confident enough to design these cabinets well myself. Does anyone know of any cabinet makers / carpenters that could help me design the cabinets that look professional and make the most of the space as a service? I am based in NJ if that makes any difference

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    My first step with clients is to have them get me of images of similar projects that they like the looks of. Then do I a scale drawing of the space and work out how to fit the features they like into their space. That should be a rewarding project!

bookcase designs site:sawmillcreek.org - Google Search
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-27-2022 at 11:35 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your reply. I have ideas and photos of similar projects already saved : ). what i need help with is, is translating those ideas into a technical drawing with advice on things like face frame thickness, optimal width of shelves etc etc into a single design. fitting the features is okay, it is more the technical implementation i need the help with.

Blog Entries
    I would suggest making more shelves adjustable than fixed. Not all books are the same height and fixed shelves tend to waste storage space.

From a design standpoint you can determine unknown dimensions by measuring your photos and using ratios of the given dimensions to determine dimensions of other parts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I agree with Lee about adjustable shelves. Construction and finishing are much easier if the shelves are separate from the cabinets. I also keep the cabinets small and work in increments that fit sheet goods. I build frameless or with minimal face frames for bookshelves. A common mistake (guilty) is making the shelves too long.
    Sunny, will you be going for wood or paint?
    Best Regards, Maurice

HI,

adjustable shelves are fine. What i mean is, the overall design the library, including widths of shelves, what the "standard" ish sized cupboards shoul d be put at the bottom. I have detailailed dimensions of the wall this bookshelf is going into. it is almost 9 meters wide by 5 meters tall with a pitched roof. what i need help with is finding someone who has built library bookshelves before who can help me with a coherent overall design that looks good. The aim is to make them in MDF or Ply and have them painted. I am happy to pay for the service too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Gopal View Post
    HI,

The aim is to make them in MDF or Ply and have them painted.
    MDF is not a good choice for shelves for books.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

5 meters tall by 9 meters wide! That's big. (over 16 feet tall by 30 feet wide). Are you thinking you'll cover the whole wall with shelving?

For a wall that big, the usual rules of thumb may not apply. For instance, you're asking about the height of cupboards at the bottom. On an eight-foot-tall wall, the answer might be three feet or so. On a 5 meter-tall wall, those cupboards would look oddly small. The better answer might be five feet tall. Or maybe you should have tall cupboards for some parts of the wall, and shelving which comes down to the floor in other places. You might also break up the shelving with open areas for art display.

Blog Entries
    Sunny, you are asking for a lot. The first step to building something is to imagine it, then draw it, then build it. Are you thinking they will be built in place or shop built?
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-05-2022 at 9:10 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Gopal View Post
    HI,

adjustable shelves are fine. What i mean is, the overall design the library, including widths of shelves, what the "standard" ish sized cupboards shoul d be put at the bottom. I have detailailed dimensions of the wall this bookshelf is going into. it is almost 9 meters wide by 5 meters tall with a pitched roof. what i need help with is finding someone who has built library bookshelves before who can help me with a coherent overall design that looks good. The aim is to make them in MDF or Ply and have them painted. I am happy to pay for the service too.
    If you're willing to pay for the design (well worth it for a good design BTW), maybe you should consider reaching out to a few millwork contractors in your area. Tell them up front that what you're looking for is design and a quote for fabrication BUT that you're contemplating doing it yourself so you're willing to pay for the proposal to cover their time.
    If I were a millwork contractor, I'd do that deal. First off, I'm used to having my time wasted by people who are not serious. Here I have someone who is sincere and honest enough to be up front with me and cover my time costs. There's a possibility the homeowner will decide it's too ambitious for DIY and I'll get the job in the end. I would offer to credit the cost of the proposal if I get the job. So I have nothing to lose, and a good job with a good customer to gain.

Benefit to you, the millwork guys know what they're doing, and will propose a design that will be functional and market friendly so it adds to your home value. Total DIY can bring with it first time design mistakes.

There's an intermediate solution too. Have the pro do the heavy lifting, and leave a few aspects of the job for you to do so you have the best of both worlds.

My $.02

You need good ladders ,not steep. Good slope ,rolling in a track, put quartos and folios in that ‘deep space’ !