Thread: Rikon Dust Collection - thoughts?

Rikon Dust Collection - thoughts?

I did a quick search and didn't find much but I need to add some dust collection to my shop. I'm currently using a 16 gallon ridgid shop vac but feel like I need a little more. I was looking at the rikon 12 gallon dust extractor but I'm worried the CFM is too small and it's just a slightly better shop vac (https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...0?item=03J7455). The next level up is the wall mounted dust collector which is out of my price range but if it's much better than the 12 gallon I'll keep scouring for used (https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...1?item=03J7460).

I currently have a miter saw, band saw and planer. Will definitely be buying a table saw in the next few months and on the fence about a jointer.

Thoughts? I don't want one with the dust bags where the fine dust leaks at this point but that's why I was looking at the rikon models. I'm worried when I google best dust collectors the rikons never seem to get mentioned.

Thanks in advance!

Luis
    Last edited by Luis Reyes; 07-30-2023 at 5:40 PM. Reason: adding the machines I have

You may want to buy a used bag type machine and add a cartridge filter. Used seem to run no more then 50% of new cost. In Toronto you do not want to vent the return air outside in winter, so good filters are a must.
    Bill D.

Some links from craigs list for some ideas of what is out there. I have no idea about getting this kind of stuff across the border. Pretty easy to show that a dust collector is used and coated in dust.
    To search craigs list just use "dust". that finds cyclones, collectors, blowers, etc all in one search.
    Bill D
    https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...648055601.html

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/d...635832233.html

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...635221420.html

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/tls/...637407182.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You may want to buy a used bag type machine and add a cartridge filter. Used seem to run no more then 50% of new cost. In Toronto you do not want to vent the return air outside in winter, so good filters are a must.
    Bill D.
    Thanks for the info! And the search for some dust collection units close to the border. It made me expand my horizons. I'm finding some delta dust collectors and craftex close to home but I feel like I do want one with a cartridge filter now

Price what a new cartridge filter would cost. It may be cheaper to buy new and add it to a older, cheaper, bag type machine. Many here say the older bags are too porus and need replacing with new finer mesh bags anyway.
    U hauls cheapest utility trailer is 4x7 feet and rents for $28/24 hours. Plenty big for a dc.
    Bill D

If you can find a delta 50-760 1.5 hp dust collector on the used market, grab it. Rated at 1200 cfm (though likely a bit lower). I've had one in my basement shop for ~17 years and it has done an admirable job. Not as noisy as a cyclone would be. The bag was rated 1 micron and has worked fairly well but it is time to put either a better bag (check out American Fabric Filter) or Wynn cartridge on it. You can put a separator in front of it if you like.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Hi Luis, as others have said, buy used and you can purchase a cartridge filter for it.

Where do you live? I’m in Scarborough, please send me a PM

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    If you can find a delta 50-760 1.5 hp dust collector on the used market, grab it. Rated at 1200 cfm (though likely a bit lower). I've had one in my basement shop for ~17 years and it has done an admirable job. Not as noisy as a cyclone would be. The bag was rated 1 micron and has worked fairly well but it is time to put either a better bag (check out American Fabric Filter) or Wynn cartridge on it. You can put a separator in front of it if you like.
    Hi Brian, what would the Delta 50-760 dust collector go for used in your area? I realize it'll differ by area but it'll give me at least a gauge of a fair price

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Luis, as others have said, buy used and you can purchase a cartridge filter for it.

Where do you live? I’m in Scarborough, please send me a PM

Regards, Rod
    Hi Rod,

I'm out in Oakville. I just realized I'm not a contributor so I couldn't send a pm. I just sent my donation so should be able to PM in a day or two once I get the privilege!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Reyes View Post
    Hi Brian, what would the Delta 50-760 dust collector go for used in your area? I realize it'll differ by area but it'll give me at least a gauge of a fair price
    I would guess about $275-300 for a unit in good condition. I haven't shopped for one so that's really a guess. Seems like I paid $350 for mine new.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher