Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Drawer Organization

Project: Drawer Organization

I've started down the rabbit hole (and I love rabbits...) with finally getting around to some more formal drawer organization with three done so far. For me, it's a CNC project that in some small ways, adds some additional skill building since I'm designing on the fly.

The first was my "Centrotec" drawer where I used scrap MDF. A few blade related and other things are also in that space.

IMG_E5222.jpg

The second was for the pliers and scissors...a switch to pink insulation foam here. Because it had it. It works fine so I will likely continue with it even when I run out and have to buy more.

IMG_5261.jpg

And the most recent took care of the metric wrenches...the SAE drawer is to come and can leverage a lot of this work

IMG_E5285.jpg

There's AC in the shop and given the hot/humid weather, doing things inside is a nice way to spend the time!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nicely done
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I was expecting to see cut off oil bottles full of nails and screws. They cut well on the bandsaw.
    Great job!
    Bill D.

You are killing me Jim! I have tossed around making inserts for my machinist rollaway since buying my Stinger. I have particle board inserts for my micrometers, depth and inside mic’s, calipers, etc., but they were done 40+ years ago with a jig saw. Functional but a little on the crude side. How durable do you think the pink foam will be?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice, Jim. I suspect the pink foam will do quite well for this purpose. Looks like it machines nicely.

So, you're not buying any new tools? Where would they go?
    In all seriousness, I go back and forth on this type of thing.
    Many moons ago when I worked as a mechanic, I was teased about my wrenches
    IMG_0707.jpg
    They've been in the same place for the last 35 years. Any overflow had to go in the next drawer
    IMG_0708.jpg
    Sometimes I like the organization for certain items but not everything

If you want another project, I have more tools you can practice with.

Oh, I am so not worthy. Well done, Jim. Very well done.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The pink foam is a great idea.

I had some of these custom made, in the past (laser cut) and the one thing I wish I'd done was put half-circles on each tool so your finger can easily get in to pick them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    How durable do you think the pink foam will be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I suspect the pink foam will do quite well for this purpose. Looks like it machines nicely.
    The pink foam cuts very nicely; just a little "fluff" but it's a "who cares" situation. It's durable enough and if one, um...slightly undercuts something because of a measuring mistake...it modifies the recess easily, either by smooshing or with a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    So, you're not buying any new tools? Where would they go?.
    Not much more I'd buy for in this shop. Theoretically, most of these should be up in the garage anyway, but I already have a set up there for working on the tractor. And if I did decide to make changes, a piece of new foam and some time on the computer solves the new tool acquisition issue.
    --

So it's your CNC cutting the foam, not a laser. Wouldn't have expected that. Do you need a specific bit for that?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Yes, Alan, CNC, not laser. I don't own a laser. I use a single flute, O-Flute tool for this kind of material. It's designed for plastics and can also be used with non-ferrous metal like brass and aluminum. (albeit you use very different speeds/feeds/depth-of-cut for the metals)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Oh, I am so not worthy. Well done, Jim. Very well done.

Haha, my exact thoughts Alan

Jim, very nicely done however you’re making me look like a slacker😎

Regards, Rod

I'm the actual slacker as I'm not spending enough time in the shop...too many distractions. Sheesh...
    --

Whats going to happen in the screwdriver drawer. Thats my next drawer to organize.

Pink foam is a good idea. Its cheaper than kaisen, lighter than MDF, and much easier to machine. And if it was lying around even better.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Whats going to happen in the screwdriver drawer. Thats my next drawer to organize.

Pink foam is a good idea. Its cheaper than kaisen, lighter than MDF, and much easier to machine. And if it was lying around even better.
    I have my primary screwdrivers on my wall system and do not intend to put them in a drawer. I do have a drawer with some extras, but they are primarily small-small stuff in cases already. I have to do the "imperial" wrench drawer still and will likely stop there for a bit. I have a piece of foam ready for that...it's actually a glue-up of two narrower pieces with polyurethane glue. No point in wasting it!
    --