Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something to build for June...

Well....I said 4 planks to the shop...one had a bit too much wane/barky edge....3 seemed to be about right...
    Friday's Cardio, lid blanks.JPG
    Width wise, at least....needed to cut them for rough length...tablesaw was busy, so..
    Friday's Cardio, set up.JPG
    Mark a cut line or two...clamp to the end of the bench..
    Friday's Cardio, cut line.JPG
    Get the saw moving....
    Friday's Cardio, cutting the line.JPG
    Will need to joint a few edges. As for that saw?
    Friday's Cardio, line cutter.JPG

One of the reasons I like these older saws.....and, once you hold one, you will find it hard to sit the saw back down....that handle was made to FIT a workman's hand....by someone who knew how it should be made.

Went out Rust Hunting the rest of the morning....and picked out a can of stain for this chest..."Colonial Maple"...we'll see how it tests out, later.

That was my Cardio Workout for today....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Jointer work...after a bit of rust hunting..
    Jointer Work, 1st edge.JPG
    Decided this will be the center plank of the lid's panel....so, both edges will need jointed, for a glue joint...
    Jointer Work, almost done.JPG
    1st edge...Stanley No.8c at work on Maple...checked the edge with a steel straight edge...
    Jointer Work, straightedge check.JPG
    3' Tinner's Ruler....and check for a square edge...
    Jointer Work, squared edge.JPG
    Also ran an "educated thumb" along, checking for rough spots...flip the plank over..
    Jointer Work, 2nd edge.JPG
    2nd edge...plane was set a bit too shallow....started to take a bigger bite, less strokes...
    Jointer Work, making shavings.JPG
    Not exactly "Moxxon TP"...
    Jointer Work, Moxxon TP.JPG
    Same as before, checking with the square and straightedge...then test to see IF one of the other planks will sit still...
    Jointer Work, next plank.JPG
    Will start on the 2nd plank, later....1 done, 2 to go.....then see about a "collar" to house this raised panel...and build a lid...trying to decide on the corner joint to use for the collar...will have a groove to hide...

Stay tuned

Rest of the planks have been jointed, and sorted for best matches...,then glued into a panel
    Jointer Work, glue clamps, and cauls.JPG
    Will let this sit a day, or 2....while I get the tablesaw freed up, so I can mill a few parts....to make the collar to hold this panel.....have to decide what corner joint to use, as there will be a groove to hide. Maybe a half blind dovetail? We'll see...

Stay tuned...

Moved the box off of the tablesaw...need to cut down a plank...an UGLY plank..
    Collar parts, start here.JPG
    Was a 1x6 at one end, but..
    Collar parts, too much bark.JPG
    Barely a 1 x4 at the other end? Needed 36-1/8" length times 2 pieces. I also need 2 pieces at 17" long....too much barkiness left over from the 3' chunk...had a cutoff that should do..
    Collar parts,needs ripped.JPG
    So...IF I set the rip fence to a strong 2"....
    Collar parts, fence set.JPG
    I'll have two sides and two ends,,
    Collar parts, rip results.JPG

Edges will need jointed...question is (rather 2 questions..) is this too tall for the lid?
    Collar parts, too tall lid.JPG
    And, since the raised panel will sit in a groove...that will need to be hidden on the ends..
    Collar Parts...needs a joint made.JPG
    Thinking MAYBE a half blind dovetail joint....hmmm...

Collar parts, squeezing the bow out.JPG
    Of course, the just sawn boards wanted to curl....clamped to close up the curl, and let this sit a day....

New saw blade? was cutting that Maple like it was balsa wood....also cuts a tad thinner kerf, than the older, worn out DeWalt blade...

1/2hour this morning = panel glued up....20 minutes this evening = parts for the collar to hold that panel...plus got the yard mowed....not too bad of a day?

Got bored, last night....even though Shop is normally closed on Mondays.....spent a little time in the shop, anyway.....all but the cauls came off the glued up panel, made it a bit easier to move around, and to get my fat body past the bench. Box came off the tablesaw for a little bit. Reset up the rip fence...2" tall collar was judged to be too tall...so..
    Collar part2 rip fence set.JPG
    We will try 1-3/8" width....ran all 4 pieces through....best side against the fence..
    Collar part2, new width.JPG
    Checked the length of the long sides...trimmed those to match the box, NOT the panel...and, make sure the ends were square. Needed to then move the tablesaw out of the way..
    Collar part2, router table.JPG
    And haul this out to where I can use it....set the fence up..
    Collar part2, set for dovetails.JPG
    Checked the Start & STOP lines on the fence so they match the thickness of the tail board..1st cut...
    Collar part2, 1st cut.JPG
    4 at this setting, 1 on each end of the 2 long side pieces...reset the fence a bit, by eyeball (MK II ?) and go again..
    Collar part2, 2nd cut.JPG
    Ok, all done with the router table, it can go back into it's storage spot, until needed again...Tablesaw moved back to it's "Home Station", box and lid plopped on top of it...
    Collar part2, can sit here.JPG
    Which leaves...
    Collar part2, needs trimmed.JPG
    Cutting the 2 short ends for final length....stay tuned for part 2, of the Monday Night Follies..

Need to cut that much off? Can't use the tablesaw, now....and I don't trust the bandsaw to cut a straight line...so..
    Collar part2, set for 90.JPG
    Reset the Millers Falls Mitrebox to 90 degrees, from the last setting of 45 degrees....checked with a square...clamp a part in place..
    Collar part2, 3rd hand.JPG
    With a 3rd hand....about 18 strokes to make the cut....times two cuts..
    Collar part2, ends trimmed.JPG
    My Cardio for the day? BTW, that back saw was rehabbed by me...and sharpened by me. Cuts well enough, no shooting board required.

So, sometime today, Boss willing...
    Collar part2, Tuesday's tasks.JPG
    I need to cut the matching tails and fit them to whichever pair of sockets they go to.....once the collar is dry fitted and marked.....I can then plough a groove to house the panel....then I can trim the panel to final size, and start raising it....and a rebate around the underside....May get a lid glued up by Friday or Saturday?

Will be needing this set on HIGH...
    Collar part2, shop fan.JPG
    Swept the floor, called it a night....see what happens, when I get bored....

Stay tuned..

2 hours IN the shop, this afternoon...hauled a needful thing to the shop..
    Collar part3, needful things.JPG
    First thing to get done..
    Collar part3, before the chopping.JPG
    Clean up the sockets, and cut the tails..for all 4 corners..
    Collar part3, 4 corners done.JPG

Took about an hour,,then need to mill some grooves..short ones...
    Collar part3, 1st groove.JPG
    And LONG ones...
    Collar part3, LONG groove.JPG
    Check that the grooves line up...
    Collar part3, alignment checked.JPG
    Clear off the bench, sit the panel and the collar on the bench..
    Collar part3, will need trimmed.JPG
    Tomorrow, I will trim the panel to fit in the grooves, and see about making it into a raised panel....might even rebate the underside....but, first..
    Collar part3, tomorrow's tasks.JPG
    Need to trim the panel for square and for size...tomorrow....I am whooped, right now...right between the shoulder blades is hurting.

Stay tuned....

2 hours in the shop, today....made quite a mess, too..
    Panel work, aisle #1 mess.JPG
    And....
    Panel work, aisle #2 mess.JPG
    Not much better out here...

Film at 2300 hrs...stay tuned..

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Got bored, last night....even though Shop is normally closed on Mondays.....spent a little time in the shop, anyway.....all but the cauls came off the glued up panel, made it a bit easier to move around, and to get my fat body past the bench. Box came off the tablesaw for a little bit. Reset up the rip fence...2" tall collar was judged to be too tall...so..
    Collar part2 rip fence set.JPG
    We will try 1-3/8" width....ran all 4 pieces through....best side against the fence..
    Collar part2, new width.JPG
    Checked the length of the long sides...trimmed those to match the box, NOT the panel...and, make sure the ends were square. Needed to then move the tablesaw out of the way..
    Collar part2, router table.JPG
    And haul this out to where I can use it....set the fence up..
    Collar part2, set for dovetails.JPG
    Checked the Start & STOP lines on the fence so they match the thickness of the tail board..1st cut...
    Collar part2, 1st cut.JPG
    4 at this setting, 1 on each end of the 2 long side pieces...reset the fence a bit, by eyeball (MK II ?) and go again..
    Collar part2, 2nd cut.JPG
    Ok, all done with the router table, it can go back into it's storage spot, until needed again...Tablesaw moved back to it's "Home Station", box and lid plopped on top of it...
    Collar part2, can sit here.JPG
    Which leaves...
    Collar part2, needs trimmed.JPG
    Cutting the 2 short ends for final length....stay tuned for part 2, of the Monday Night Follies..

I like your method for cutting blind dovetails. Pins first I guess.

Yep, easier for me to then lay out the tails...

Need a panel 16" x 35".....and have square ends, and no taper on the length....we have way...one edge of the panel was jointed, anyway..will pull from that edge to square the ends..
    Panel work, needs trimmed.JPG
    Minimum that the circular saw can cut....without the guard hanging up....second mark?
    Panel work, lay out marks.JPG
    Matches the distance between the saw blade and the edge of the saw's foot plate....because...
    Panel work, guide fence.JPG
    The guide fence needs those extra marks. Clamp it in place, run the saw through, while pressing it against the fence...
    Panel work, cut made.JPG
    Nothing to it...then rotate the panel around, measure from the freshly cut end down 35"....repeat all the above steps....panel is the right length, with both ends square to the jointed edge.

The other edge? Tapers from 17-1/8" down to 16- 3/4".....and I need just 16" for width...
    Panel work, layout, width.JPG
    This is just to mark a line 16" from the "good" edge...clamped in place so it doesn't move....until AFTER the cut line is drawn. Once again, measure for the guide off set...so the saw is cutting the line...and make the cut...
    Panel work, ripped for width.JPG
    That is the "cut-off" laying there...on it's way to the scrap bin...
    Panel work, cordless jointer 8c.JPG
    Then ran the cordless jointer along the freshly sawn edge...wave reduction...
    Panel work, trouble spots.JPG
    Need to scrub and flatten both faces....at least get the worst out...want it reasonably flat around the edges of the panel.....best looking face (NOT this one) will be a Raised Panel look...other will be the underside of the lid....and just gets a rebate.....

Stay tuned..

Scrub Jack?
    Panel work, scrub-a-dub.JPG
    Seems to be a good use for this old Craftsman Jack plane....going across the grain at a diagonal....followed up by...

Panel work, flattening the hills.JPG
    Flattening the hills plane..starts out at the diagonals, then winds up here...both faces were worked over...had some waves going on..
    Panel work, waves.JPG

Was finally able to sand things a bit with 80 grit...for now....then set up the Stanley 45..
    Panel work, 1st rebate.JPG
    Cutter is a 5/16" wide straight cutter....rebate is to be 1/4" deep..
    Panel work, five-sixteenths.JPG
    By 5/16" wide...working on what will be the underside of the panel...was getting a bit tuckered out...but..
    Panel work, 2nd rebate.JPG
    Same plane, no changes...no spurs used...just a saw cut out on the end, to prevent any blow-outs...

Still had to sweep up the shop, and haul a full hamper of just dried clothes upstairs....and seek out a Gatorade bottle, from the fridge...
    Panel work, aisle #1 mess.JPG
    Before the broom, and..
    Panel work, cleaned up aisle #1.JPG
    Busy day, today?

Stay tuned...might try to start raising panels, tomorrow? And the last 2 rebates, before I flip the panel over...

Plan for today:
    Get the other 2 rebates done..
    A day of cramps & planes, done 3rd.JPG
    #3 was easy enough (why are my toes cramping?)#4?
    A day of cramps & planes, clean up.JPG
    Needed a knife wall, and the router plane...and the Stanley 45.....

Next was the bevels
    A day of cramps & planes, 1st bevel, fitted.JPG
    ends were first....WAS going to use a #4 plane ( KK 4) but.....saner minds prevailed..
    A day of cramps & planes, McFine, McRough.JPG
    McRough to start, McFine to finish.....got the two ends fitted..
    A day of cramps & planes, 2nd bevel.JPG
    Then tried the long side bevel....Stanley No.8c tried to help out...
    A day of cramps & planes, quitting time.JPG
    Getting serious...toes still cramping..fitted a side..
    A day of cramps & planes, 3rd bevel fitted.JPG
    Decided to just sweep up..
    A day of cramps & planes, busy day.JPG
    1 hour and 15 minutes of just hand planes....then Sir Uncle Charles hit, and hit HARD...almost did NOT make it back upstairs...cramps everywhere....if it moved, it cramped

I think I'll wait until tomorrow, to get the last bevel fitted...and MAYBE try for a glue up?

Still cramping...stay tuned

Walked back down to the shop, last night..SLOWLY...Needed get a couple things set up for later today..
    Tomorrow, setting up, laid out.JPG
    Rotated the panel around, and laid out for the last bevel....noticed a few rough spots....can't have that, can we...
    Tomorrow, setting up, scrraper.JPG
    Even had to sharpen this 1st....fresh 45 degree bevel, then form a slight hook off that bevel...Stanley No. 80,,,works just fine...

While the collar was on the panel, didn't like the look....too sharp of a corner between the top edge of the collar...and the bevel of the panel...so..
    Tomorrow, setting up, depth set.JPG
    Will dry fit the collar only, with it's clamps, and run this bit around on the inside edge....May do a small round-over around the outside..AFTER the glue up....

Trying to avoid getting to hot, today....still issues with the cramps....

Stay tuned....

Ok, decided a change of Planes was in order....
    A glue up Friday, Mutt & Jeff.JPG
    As pushing either of these two was not getting things done....the jack is fine, going across the grain, and the jointer just wasn't needed for doing a beveled edge...try tilting it 10 degrees AND pushing it along....so...maybe something in between?
    A glue up Friday, inbetween.JPG
    An inch longer than a Jack ( Jumbo Jack?) and a tad wider (2-1/4" wide iron, vs 2" cambered?)
    A glue up Friday, Logos.JPG
    Type 3 Millers Falls No. 15....tried it out on the last bevel...after a while, I took a break, mainly for a test fit..
    A glue up Friday, taking a break.JPG
    Then push the shavings onto the floor...
    A glue up Friday, rest of the shavings.JPG

To plane a beveled edge, you tilt the plane about 10 degrees, and work your way back to the stop line 1-1/2" back from the edge...shavings start as a narrow ribbon, and each pass, the ribbon SHOULD get wider.....when you see a "full width" shaving, you should be close to the stop lines....then I "fine tune" with smoothers...
    A glue up Friday, Motly Crue.JPG
    The WR #62 makes full width shavings...nice flat surface to the bevel...the Millers Falls No. 9,Type 4 is for doing spot work, where I don't NEED to go the full 35" length...
    A glue up Friday, test fit.JPG
    In this case, right about the center, there was a thicker section..No.9 reduced that, so the last side of the collar will fit...

Dry fit the collar one last time....
    A glue up Friday, router prep.JPG
    Except this time, it was for a corded router...
    Stay tuned...