Thread: Mid century modern Oak sideboard

Blog Entries

Mid century modern Oak sideboard

I've been trying to use up some scraps/shorts in the lumber rack and here's a sort of "mid century modern" wide oak cabinet with walnut pulls etc. I think I like the way white oak and walnut look together. This isn't classic MCM design; I enjoy showing off little exposed joinery here and there.

Cheers, Mike

White oak and walnut is a great combination. An artisan local to me makes lamps with this combination of woods. Well done!
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rob. I’m never sure what combination of woods will look good together. I tend to stick to a few basic light/dark combos. What do you guys like?

Another fine project Mike that both humbles and inspires. Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Thanks Rob. I’m never sure what combination of woods will look good together. I tend to stick to a few basic light/dark combos. What do you guys like?
    I tend to play it safe most of the time. In the late 1970s when I was learning my core skills in woodshop class, a maple and walnut combo was all the rage. I always hated that. I feel woods should complement versus contrast, excepting designs when that's the point. I tend to use "secondary" woods as accents.

I like Cherry or Alder with Walnut like in the example below:

I often use Rosewood accents with White Oak as well. The pegs in the frame below are a good example:

Here's Spanish Cedar and Soft maple used for a napkin box. I think they go well together:

Blog Entries
    thanks Rob, I like the white oak and rosewood too!13.jpg10 (2).jpg13.jpg10 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    thanks Rob, I like the white oak and rosewood too!13.jpg10 (2).jpg13.jpg10 (2).jpg

Now that is cool! I've always wanted to make a Greene and Greene themed blanket chest.

Mike,

Fabulous work-the selection of oak and accents give the piece a great update while bing a clear homage to MCM! Thanks for sharing and your work (and speed!) are inspiring.

best
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Looks great Mike. The contrast is very complimentary and the pulls add a real visual pop to the piece. A fun mix of styles that work together wonderfully.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler