Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft putting unwanted software on my computer

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I run a Open Media Vault server (Ubuntu Linux) box for storage, Plex, Home Assistant, backups and what ever else I can shove into a container. It is many times more stable than Windows for these server type functions and is running on my outdated old workstation and is never even close to making the old hardware sweat. I love it!
    I administer Windows servers at work that do those same functions and they just work. I couldn't tell you the last time we touched those servers due to an issue. Most of the applications we rely on to run our business only run on Windows. My employer also has a number of Linux servers too that I also deal with. We only expose Linux servers to the Internet in a DMZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    What was the App (program) that was installed?

A recent update turned off the random scenery photos that showed up during startup on my windows 11. It took some time to figure out how to turn that feature back on.

One thing that you have to understand, you don't own any of the software nor operating system on your computer. Microsoft or Apple own those items. They can pretty much make changes and cease support at anytime with little notice.

I had the same thing happen & do not have a clue on how to restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I tried Linux but decided to stick with Microsoft Windows.

Mike
    When did you try it, Mike? Ease of use has improved substantially in the past few years. There are a couple distros that are pretty simple to use and capable, Linux Mint and Zorin. You can create a live USB and try them out without touching your Windows installation. You just have to figure out what key to press when your PC first powers up to get a choice of boot devices. The biggest reason that Linux doesn't work are if you need a certain app. Adobe is a biggie and Quickbooks may be another. I don't know if the online version of Quickbooks will work in a browser with Linux or not. Hardware support is pretty good though certain wifi chipsets are problematic due to manufacturer lack of support.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-04-2022 at 8:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    When did you try it, Mike? Ease of use has improved substantially in the past few years. There are a couple distros that are pretty simple to use and capable, Linux Mint and Zorin. You can create a live USB and try them out without touching your Windows installation. You just have to figure out what key to press when your PC first powers up to get a choice of boot devices. The biggest reason that Linux doesn't work are if you need a certain app. Adobe is a biggie and Quickbooks may be another. I don't know if the online version of Quickbooks will work in a browser with Linux or not. Hardware support is pretty good though certain wifi chipsets are problematic due to manufacturer lack of support.
    Went and checked my records - I received the Mint distribution in December 2016. Probably installed it in January 2017.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-04-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    I had the same thing happen & do not have a clue on how to restore it.
    I'm on Windows 11 now so my comments may not work for Windows 10.

Anyway, go to settings and choose personalization. Then find "Personalize your lock screen". Set it to Windows Spotlight. This is for the picture that shows up before you log on.

For background, it's Bing Wallpaper which you set a different way. One thing that can happen is that the Bing Wallpaper gets turned off. Go to Bing in hidden icons (lower right corner of the screen), choose Bing and turn it back on. If Bing is not there, Google Bing Wallpaper and install it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    As much as possible, I avoid using Windows and storing any personal information on my Windows install. It's basically just spyware and bloatware at this point, intended to cater to, and take advantage of unsophisticated users.
    I seriously doubt that particular attitude is going to generate a lot of converts to Linux, especially within this group.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

A few years ago and I am only going on memory I was watching a YT video where one of the leading experts in Linux was explaining why there were no common apps right across the Linux world and he said it was impossible to due to every distro being different. I wish I could find it now to link here as it was quite an interesting talk on some of the problems that Linux does have.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    A few years ago and I am only going on memory I was watching a YT video where one of the leading experts in Linux was explaining why there were no common apps right across the Linux world and he said it was impossible to due to every distro being different. I wish I could find it now to link here as it was quite an interesting talk on some of the problems that Linux does have.
    There are a few apps that are very widespread in the Linux world. LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird immediately come to mind. Inkscape and Blender are some others. There are 3 primary distros - Ubuntu, Arch and RedHat Enterprise Linux/Fedora. Most of the dozens of distros are modifications/additions/subtractions of one of those three. There is a movement afoot to change the way Linux software is distributed. There are three systems - Appimage, Flatpak and Snap. These package the application and required dependencies together so there is little chance of the correct version of a required supporting file not being available. I'm certainly no expert on this stuff but I think Flatpaks and Snaps run in a sandbox so are somewhat confined from affecting the rest of the system.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-06-2022 at 10:01 AM.

I wish I could recall the specifics of the talk but it surrounded the lack of commonality across the distros preventing him from doing some of the things possible in Windows.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Try deleting your Microsoft account............

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    The only reason I can think you'd want to is if you are switching to 100% Mac or 100% Linux.
    In which case, it's a bit like deleting an AOL account: yeah, it's difficult, but why bother?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Of course, Microsoft is moving to not allowing its software to work without an account.

Mike