Thread: Looking for someone that can foil emboss leather

Blog Entries

Looking for someone that can foil emboss leather

Good day:

I am repairing an old campaign desk, and need to replace the leather. It had a gold decorative border. I don’t need the border to perfectly match, but to resemble the original in general style. It is 23 1/16 x 8 3/32. This is paid work for me, so I am looking to pay someone. If you do this kind of work, or can recommend someone, let me know. I know how to do it, but the cost of tooling is the issue. I’d rather pay someone already set up.

F0815DB5-5066-4275-9AB7-A37EFDFFB6BD.jpg 36F02E88-DDB3-467D-915D-48ADCBF504E8.jpg

***side note: if there is a way to do this without a heat machine, I might try it myself. I only know how to do it with a heat press and dies.

I used Van Dyke's a few years ago, when I was repairing an heirloom desk for my MIL. Not cheap, but I was happy with the result (and more importantly, my MIL was). If you search for "desktop" on their site, you'll see what they have to offer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    I used Van Dyke's a few years ago, when I was repairing an heirloom desk for my MIL. Not cheap, but I was happy with the result (and more importantly, my MIL was). If you search for "desktop" on their site, you'll see what they have to offer.

Thank you. Appreciate the lead.

Blog Entries
    If Van Dyke's doesn't work out you might try looking into bookbinders. Some of them do foil leaf work for decoration or even spine titling.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Some possibilities. Jim's suggestion of bookbinders might be better. I would think there would be several in that region.

https://www.customleatherwork.com/le...0services.html
    https://barbarossaleather.com/custom-embossing/
    https://www.texasleathergoods.com/de...ossed-leathers

A relative newcomer to the field, my father only has about seventy years experience in the foil/engraving industry. If you want his contact information, send me a reply and I can let him know you would like information. His company forced him to retire at 90 in 2020 because of COVID fears, but he's still very much astute and skilled. He will likely know where to send you if nothing else.