Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software-- 2d drawing to 3D model suitable for CNC or printing

Software-- 2d drawing to 3D model suitable for CNC or printing

Is there such a thing as a design program that allows you to draw 2D front, side, and top views of an object that will then put them together to make a 3D model?

For the life of me I've tried to make 3D drawings in software like Sketchup (took classes, invested probably 100 hours over a month period) and failed. There's something about the logic that my brain can't do, and in Sketchup in particular, even if it looked OK there was always some hidden surface that was mucked up or failed to close rendering the drawing useless.

I can look at the classic views of an object and envision it perfectly (better than looking at a 3D representation), and they are trivially easy to draw, at least for the kinds of simple objects I build.

I need to make drawings of these spool ends (slightly modified to get rid of asymmetry and internal structure) suitable for prototyping by 3D printing and then sending to a CNC lathe (sadly the machinist who made the injection molds for these melted them down for recycling):

IMG_7086.jpgIMG_7299.jpg

Like you I do better with a 2d dwg than a 3d model, but the world is changing. For the long term I would look at SolidWorks or an Autodesk product, maybe inventor. In the short term, you might want to look for a local design service or person. CAD guys are all over the place now days
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I'm not great at it but I could make it in Fusion 360. It just took a few you tube instructional videos. I've never used Sketch Up but with Fusion you start out making a 2d model then make it 3d.

Like you, I had an issue with SketchUp (mine was getting the parts aligned). I got a 3d printer a couple of months ago and have been playing with Tinkercad. It's a free web-based app at tinkercad.com.
    It also starts as 2D shapes that you modify to 3D. Don't know if it will export for CNC, but it's several steps down from Fusion 360 on the learning curve.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Vectric Aspire will do it. It is very pricey, but powerful. You can play with the trial version for free to see if you can make it work. There are lots of tutorials available.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I used vetric aspire on the paddle
    trace a canoe paddle and use that *.dxf file to create a 3D file for a cnc cut

https://logicgroup.vids.io/videos/ac...on-cnc-machine oct 2021

None of the Vectric products are compatible for use with a CNC lathe
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Solidworks now has a "Maker" version that's relatively inexpensive and may be worth trying. April Wilkinson has a discount code available, too. I have not tried it, however. I have a Sketchup Subscription.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    None of the Vectric products are compatible for use with a CNC lathe
    How about Carveco, Gary? Is it compatible with a CNC lathe?
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

"MOI" this program is incredibly easy, user friendly, and extremely powerful and yet relatively in-expensive for what it can do. It does not have a CAM package but at far as being able to do what your asking, it is great for this kind of work. They also have a 90 day trial. Give it a spin think you will find it works great. It also has a multitude of "Save As" formats. It will also allow a 3D mouse to work.

Blessings,

kw

http://moi3d.com/index.htm
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 05-26-2022 at 5:36 PM.

To be clear, I know nothing about CNC lathes, my hope was just to make a good 3D drawing that could be sent to someone who might fabricate the parts for me after they translated it into whatever format they used. I figured that 3D printing would let me ensure that the sizes are all correct before sending it out. A fellow I know who has a lot of parts made for various machines he sells suggested a CNC lathe as being reasonable for what I need (100-200 pairs of ends).

I will be checking out your various suggestions over the next several days, thanks!

Roger...
    Ask your lathe guy what CAD/CAM program they use. They may be able to point you in the direction of a CAD guy that can draw up your parts.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Is there such a thing as a design program that allows you to draw 2D front, side, and top views of an object that will then put them together to make a 3D model?

For the life of me I've tried to make 3D drawings in software like Sketchup (took classes, invested probably 100 hours over a month period) and failed. There's something about the logic that my brain can't do, and in Sketchup in particular, even if it looked OK there was always some hidden surface that was mucked up or failed to close rendering the drawing useless.

I can look at the classic views of an object and envision it perfectly (better than looking at a 3D representation), and they are trivially easy to draw, at least for the kinds of simple objects I build.

I need to make drawings of these spool ends (slightly modified to get rid of asymmetry and internal structure) suitable for prototyping by 3D printing and then sending to a CNC lathe (sadly the machinist who made the injection molds for these melted them down for recycling):

IMG_7086.jpgIMG_7299.jpg
    Roger - I'm sort of "late to the party" - but you can email me your 2 D drawings and/or sketches for one of these and I will provide a 3D solid model (STL file) which you can use for sending to your slicer and then 3D printing. I use both SolidWorks and Fusion 360, but have pretty much transitioned to Fusion 360 for my solid modeling needs. I much prefer the user interface of Fusion 360 to SolidWorks, and it is also fairly easy to learn as well. I will send you a PM with my email address.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Roger - I'm sort of "late to the party" - but you can email me your 2 D drawings and/or sketches for one of these and I will provide a 3D solid model (STL file) which you can use for sending to your slicer and then 3D printing. I use both SolidWorks and Fusion 360, but have pretty much transitioned to Fusion 360 for my solid modeling needs. I much prefer the user interface of Fusion 360 to SolidWorks, and it is also fairly easy to learn as well. I will send you a PM with my email address.
    David
    Talk about an offer one can't refuse! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Roger...
    Ask your lathe guy what CAD/CAM program they use. They may be able to point you in the direction of a CAD guy that can draw up your parts.
    Gary,

I use MasterCam for both cnc lathe and cnc mill work. I typically draw up as 2D with AutoCad or Bricscad, then import to MasterCam to extrude and/or rotate to create solid model to be used for creating tool paths. I find it much quicker to do the drawing with these external 2D packages as opposed to doing it all with MasterCam. MasterCam has different "modules" for lathe, mill, wire edm, routing, etc. and also different post processors associated with these as well as being specific to the particular cnc controller for each machine. My lathe is Fanuc, and my mill is Yasnak.

I think that most cnc machinists can work with stl files, as MasterCam will as well. Most of my parts are so simple that creating a 3D model first and sending the stl to MasterCam would be overkill.

David