Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Charlesworth died May 22

I am late to this news, having strayed a bit from woodworking this year.

We all go, but some departures hit home hard. I cut my teeth learning how to sharpen plane irons and chisels from David’s first edition videos from Lie-Nielsen. I have found his methods to be brilliantly simple, flawless, foolproof, and exceptionally effective. As I puttered in my shop I would fondly imagine his jovial face and inimitable voice each time I whisked a blade over an 8000 water stone. David became an icon to me, and since he made an otherwise mediocre craftsman a reliably capable sharpener, he grew over time into a hero for me.

You can thus imagine my delight as I embarked in January 2019 for a week with him in his Hartland workshop, for his tool tuning course. As it turned out, I was his only student that week in the dead of a Devon winter. Five days of one-on-one study with my hero. What I learned that week was that David has the benevolent soul you see in his gentle and trenchant videos. Generous with his knowledge, patient (but honest) with my skill shortcomings, he unspooled wisdom about the craft that I captured in a treasured notebook. I’ll go read that notebook after I post this.

On the last day David gave me a copy of one of his out-of-print classic books.

Today as the news has reached me is a sad one now. There was only one David Charlesworth.

Derek, is that issue out now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Derek, is that issue out now?
    Bob, not out yet, to my knowledge, but soon I believe. I shall have a couple of articles in it, and no doubt be sent a copy when it is ready for publication.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quercus Magazine
    July/August 2020
    The next issue of Quercus is out on 1st July. To order a copy or subscribe, click here to visit mymagazinesub.co.uk/quercus

I have pre-ordered it. Thank you for the lead.

I'm not a physician and I don't know when the videos were produced but I did seem to notice intermittent heavy breathing as Mr. Charlesworth was presenting on one or two of his instructional videos. Lost another great teacher and craftsman. We have an obligation to pass on his legacy (and others), knowledge and skills to future woodworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    I'm not a physician and I don't know when the videos were produced but I did seem to notice intermittent heavy breathing as Mr. Charlesworth was presenting on one or two of his instructional videos. Lost another great teacher and craftsman. We have an obligation to pass on his legacy (and others), knowledge and skills to future woodworkers.
    I try to nudge sharpening-curious woodworkers toward David’s videos, but from what I can tell from the sometimes tepid responses, David seems to be an acquired taste. It’s their loss.