Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stranger Says Their Battery died Wants to use Your Phone

Roger,

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'commercial STEM place'?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Roger,

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'commercial STEM place'?
    Don't feel bad, Dr. Google is your friend > Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, including Computer Science < is what the Doctor found.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim.

I have heard of STEM as related to schools, so I suppose a Commercial Stem Center is one of those ubiquitous trade schools/training centers.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Do they call the cubicles in that building STEM cells?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Me too, this was just a warning post for others.

As one, who like many others, tends to trust people it is a reminder to be careful when trusting strangers.

All my cell phones are currently without service. One is used for an alarm clock when needed. If one of us is traveling we will buy a prepaid phone for the convenience during the trip.

jtk
    Jim, you don't necessarily have to buy a new phone. If your phone uses a SIM, just buy a prepaid SIM. The last phone I bought is factory unlocked and any future phones I buy will be as well. Walk into Best Buy or Walmart and buy a SIM for whichever carrier is offering the best deal. Just be aware when doing this that there is still a split between GSM and CDMA (Verizon and a few others) Some phones will work with either, most will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Jim, you don't necessarily have to buy a new phone. If your phone uses a SIM, just buy a prepaid SIM. The last phone I bought is factory unlocked and any future phones I buy will be as well. Walk into Best Buy or Walmart and buy a SIM for whichever carrier is offering the best deal. Just be aware when doing this that there is still a split between GSM and CDMA (Verizon and a few others) Some phones will work with either, most will not.
    Anything using CDMA is pretty much toast. Same for 3G...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Do they call the cubicles in that building STEM cells?
    Good one, Dick.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Yesterday, my wife was getting her nails done in Middlesboro, Kentucky and some elderly woman asked to use the phone because her battery died. She had locked her keys in her car parked next to the truck. Ten minutes later her son arrived with the backup set of keys and opened it up for her. Some times people are honest. Her son mentioned it wasn't the first time she locked her keys in her car. We'll all be there one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Anything using CDMA is pretty much toast. Same for 3G...
    That's what I thought but still see that some unlocked phones won't work with Verizon or a couple other carriers (Boost mobile?). I assumed that was because of CDMA, perhaps not and there's another reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Yesterday, my wife was getting her nails done in Middlesboro, Kentucky and some elderly woman asked to use the phone because her battery died. She had locked her keys in her car parked next to the truck. Ten minutes later her son arrived with the backup set of keys and opened it up for her. Some times people are honest. Her son mentioned it wasn't the first time she locked her keys in her car. We'll all be there one day.
    I think the vast majority of people are honest. It's the few that make the news.