Thread: Looking for plans for geometric end table

Looking for plans for geometric end table

Is anyone aware of plans (or at least the angles) for a geometric end table like the image? It's basically two triangles but I'm not sure if there is a formal name to it.
    Dimensions are 19" h, 13" w, 10" dd

Thanks!
    Bob
    table.jpg

Blog Entries
    Pythagorus could help. I would draw it up full size and use an angle finder. That's a cute and funky design, a good spot for a lava lamp.
    Best Regards, Maurice

If you have a photo and dimensions, I'm not sure what you're looking for.
    As long as the top and bottom are parallel, the angle can be anything you like, and easily changed to adjust height or depth/width.

Blog Entries
    This is where a CAD program comes in handy. I assumed that the outside faces of the non-continuous diagonal boards were aligned with the center point of the base and the top. In my sketch, the twp short boards are parallel to each other

table.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-24-2022 at 4:32 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

OMG - amazing. Thank you for the diagrams! One of these days I really need to learn either LibreCAD or SketchUp.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Good Job Lee Schierer! I think the glue blocks, seen in the original image, detract a bit. I won't be surprised to see one of these that a contributor makes with dovetails or box joints.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    This is where a CAD program comes in handy. I assumed that the outside faces of the non-continuous diagonal boards were aligned with the center point of the base and the top. In my sketch, the twp short boards are parallel to each other

table.jpg
    Lee,

It's been about 50 years since my high school geometry class, so apologies if I'm missing the boat here. My thought is that the two short pieces, if they're parallel to each other, ought to be the same length.

My reasoning: in my picture, angles a1 and a2 have to be the same, if the top and bottom of the table are parallel. Then (I think) if the two short pieces are parallel, angles b1 and b2 have to be the same. If that's true, and the top and bottom are both 13" then I think the two triangles are congruent, and the two short pieces have to be the same length.

I also came up with a slightly different measurement for a1 and a2 - for a right triangle with legs of 13" and 19", I got an angle of 55.6 degrees.

ETA: After a little more reflection, I suspect what's throwing me off is I didn't account for the thickness of the stock. Oops!

table2.jpg
    Last edited by Gary Ragatz; 05-25-2022 at 8:35 AM. Reason: A little more thought

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Lee,

It's been about 50 years since my high school geometry class, so apologies if I'm missing the boat here. My thought is that the two short pieces, if they're parallel to each other, ought to be the same length.

My reasoning: in my picture, angles a1 and a2 have to be the same, if the top and bottom of the table are parallel. Then (I think) if the two short pieces are parallel, angles b1 and b2 have to be the same. If that's true, and the top and bottom are both 13" then I think the two triangles are congruent, and the two short pieces have to be the same length.

I also came up with a slightly different measurement for a1 and a2 - for a right triangle with legs of 13" and 19", I got an angle of 55.6 degrees.

ETA: After a little more reflection, I suspect what's throwing me off is I didn't account for the thickness of the stock. Oops!

table2.jpg
    Actually you are quite correct. Thanks for checking my work.The two short boards were in fact not parallel. I should have picked up on the difference in lengths. The corrected drawing is shown below.

weid table.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Actually you are quite correct. Thanks for checking my work.The two short boards were in fact not parallel. I should have picked up on the difference in lengths. The corrected drawing is shown below.

weid table.jpg
    Ah! Stock thickness affects the calculation of the angle, but the congruency argument still works. High school geometry teacher would have given me a B-.

Blog Entries

table.jpg
    I have been wondering how hard it is to learn CAD and if it is something one can learn at home. Also where to start. I have read some in the "To CNC or Not to CNC" threads, they are too advanced. Can anyone offer advice?
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I use a program called DoubleCad XT5, which is free. It isn't hard to learn, but it does take practice to get quick. The nice thing is that you can produce accurate drawings and it will tell you angles and such. You can draw lines at precise lengths and angles. There are tutorials for basic drawing functions if you do a search for DoubleCad XT5 tutorial.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lee, That will take me some time. The first one have looked at moves very fast just like when the kids try to show me things. I will be pausing a lot to catch up.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I need to learn a CAD program as well. I'll look at DoubleCAD. SketchUp, LibreCAD and Fusion 360 seem to get a lot of mentions as well. I made my table 20" to hold outdoor speakers so it changed the dimensions. I used 55 and 25 degrees and then calculated the rest as I went. I think the other bottom angle was eight degrees. It's always a challenge on a table saw since all angles have to be 45 or less so some pieces have to be flipped to be cut.

Thanks to everyone for their help. These came out ok for outdoor use but certainly not fine furniture quality.

20220526_185020.jpg20220526_185056.jpg
    Last edited by Bob WaltersJr; 05-27-2022 at 8:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Those are cute. It looks like you tweaked the design a bit. I am trying to pick a CAD program for Mac. At a glance it appears that PC dominates for running CNC.
    Best Regards, Maurice