Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nailed It!

I have a pair of fencing pliers like to pair shown but in Jim's circumstance they aren't that helpful.
    Trying to pry a staple or nail horizontally from a round post is a PITA and usually does more damage than necessary to the wooden post.
    While I use a small spud bar for situations like this, Jim's method is sound and probably does less damage
    Example
    https://www.grainger.com/product/38G...w63h3:20501231

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I always have spares.
    Those folks that make multiple trips to the BORG for one simple project do leave me scratching my head at times.
    Projects don't always go the way one planned. I try to minimize trips to the store because it is 8 to 10 miles to the store, but often times a project changes as it progresses. I was remodeling a basement bathroom and after the drywall came off it was obvious the wall needed to be rebuilt. Off to the store for a pile of 2x4s. Many other examples of similar changes as projects progress.

There are always going to be times when one needs to go and buy project supplies. Trying to minimize the frequency of having to travel to the store was the point.
    I'm guessing you didn't make one trip for the studs, another trip for the nails, another for drywall, another for drywall screws, tape, mud, primer, paint, trim and so on.
    Keeping a small inventory can save a lot of time and money. JMHO

Blog Entries
    Those folks that make multiple trips to the BORG for one simple project do leave me scratching my head at times.
    The way an old timer explained it to me is every project requires three trips to the store.

The first trip is to buy everything you think you need.

The second trip is to buy all the things you didn't realize you would need.

The third trip is to return all the stuff you thought you would need but didn't.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think that sums it up nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The way an old timer explained it to me is every project requires three trips to the store.

The third trip is to return all the stuff you thought you would need but didn't.

jtk
    When doing any kind of plumbing the first thing I do is get a full tank of gas

Blog Entries
    Our depression era house has no closets. I made a bit of a cloths hanging spot with two big nails.

IMG_0561.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

jtk
    I think you missed step 2-B and sometimes 2-C which is to return to the store(s) to buy more stuff/different stuff because you either forgot more somethings or did a "project redesign" partway through. Maybe even more than once. There is also another step between 2 and 3 required...trying to figure out where you bought what that needs to be returned since invariably, no one source had everything and you had to go to four different stores.

No good project goes unpunished...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I remember my father told me if he needed to buy one hose clamp he was sure to need another soon so He would buy two and save one for latter.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I remember my father told me if he needed to buy one hose clamp he was sure to need another soon so He would buy two and save one for latter.
    Bill D
    Your father and many others, including myself, have shared in this philosophy. It also makes for great estate sales so our heirs can have a little cash for a family dinner.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Your father and many others, including myself, have shared in this philosophy. It also makes for great estate sales so our heirs can have a little cash for a family dinner.

jtk
    this is a general exaggeration but,
    If you go to the BORG in need of a few screws, a bag of 10 can cost $3, a box of 100 will cost $10. I usually buy a box.

We do not drink coffee but our friend works in the school kitchen. She gives us cases of empty #10 cans when we ask. If we need them soon we have to wash them out. If we can wait a week or so she runs them through the big dishwasher at school.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Sadly the Borgs and other stores do not carry as many boxes of 100 as they used to.

jtk

Sadly the Borgs and other stores do not carry as many boxes of 100 as they used to.
    When I need a fastener I don’t have in stock (rare but it does happen) I go to a local industrial supplier - they have a warehouse with probably every type of fastener made. Not only will they have what I need but the price is better than the hardware or big box store, regardless of quantity.

Whether I need 5 or 50 I always buy at least a hundred. Also, if I go for a certain length and gauge I generally get some other sizes to stock my shelves. After a few years of this my stock on hand increased and the times I don’t have the right fastener are fewer.

I really like having a variety of hardware on hand, from cotter pins to roll pins, big lag screws to tiny metric socket screws, hose clamps to pipe clamps, washers, springs, o-rings, wire, etc. Same for materials: steel, aluminum, brass, plastics and such in a variety of useful sizes and shapes. And tools. When repairing or making something I really, really dislike stopping to go shopping.