Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chipped chipbreaker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chipped chipbreaker

I have a little damaged LN 5 1/2 chipbreaker. How much of an issue is this? Is this repairable and how or this damage on a chipbreaker doesn't matter on 5 1/2?

IMG_20220523_171237.jpg IMG_20220523_171335.jpg IMG_20220523_172039.jpg

I don’t know the answers to your questions, but if it needs repair I’ll bet if you called LN they will tell you to send it to them and fix it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Skof View Post
    I have a little damaged LN 5 1/2 chipbreaker. How much of an issue is this? Is this repairable and how or this damage on a chipbreaker doesn't matter on 5 1/2?
    Ivan, I would guess that it chipped as it is quite sharp. If it was mine, I would grind it back with a 50 degree leading edge angle. Now you will be able to benefit from closing the chipbreaker up, which will help resist tearout. Trying this technique with a sharp leading edge (the factory leading edge is 25 degrees) will not aid in closing up the chipbreaker.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My experience with sending back an old abused Lie Neilsen plane which was physicially damaged that I stupidly bought from eBay? They repaired it for free. Great company, great planes.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    +$74 for shipping + 22% of total for import duty

Ouch! I did not check your location either. I bought a spare one to experiment with cambered blades. It was painless in US.

Thanks Derek, I think I'll try that.

Normally I don’t look up a poster’s location, so didn’t realize you live in Slovenia. LN would probably fix or replace it for free but likely wouldn’t foot the shipping costs.
    Last edited by Stephen Rosenthal; 05-23-2022 at 8:54 PM.

The damage (chip) to the leading edge of the chipbreaker looks to be minor. Discussing replacing the chipbreaker misses that the chipbreaker needs preparation if it is to be used to prevent tearout .... and that the preparation would involve grinding back the leading edge anyway (to create a 50 degree angle).

Regards from Perth

Derek

A traditional cap iron has a rounded bevel. I have used rounded bevels for 50 years. The bevel should be steep where it meets the plane iron, on the order of 70 or 80 degrees; I use 80.

The Lie Nielsen cap iron , so-called "improve chipbreaker" was designed by someone who did not know how to use a plane. by the time you make an effective cap iron, you may no longer have a chip.

LN chipbreaker on a Veritas PM-V11 blade for my LN #3 ...

The 50 degree leading edge taken into a rounded bevel. A little extra bend to add spring ...

Works pretty well for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I don't know what the 5-1/2 is to be used for, but I only have close chipbreakers on a couple of smoothing planes, and a no.7.

Tom, although it is not my preference, a #5 1/2 is often used as a "Super Smoother". This was popularised by David Charlesworth. This is also popularised by Rob Cosman. Think of this a little like a panel plane. So a closed up chipbreaker is a likely choice here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Great pictures Derek
    Not so easy to get a photograph as clear as that!
    I have tried to get as good, with a very similar plane set up as you do, and is what I would use for my densest iroko on my 5 1/2
    and still have the smoother if that don't work.
    TBH I've kind of gravitated to keeping things that way.

I've been temped to go further than an aimed for 51degrees for me smoother though,
    as I have some other timbers which are as hard as rosewood which might likely benefit.
    But with no need to be working that stuff yet, have no reason to require it...for my smoother, as my eyesight is good.

Curious to know if Warren is working stuff like this to warrant such a steep angle,
    or if it's a matter of working rough stock and allowing a larger camber than Derek's excellently taken photo is showing
    for heavier shavings, which would be heavier again than a... just under the 1/32" (maximum distance which I find to work on interlocked hardwoods 90% of the time)
    which still works at 50 degrees.
    Or could it possibly be for keeping the cap from getting damaged as easily on rougher stock?

No doubt I'll likely try on my smoother sometime, as that super dense stuff required the cap iron so close.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 05-24-2022 at 11:43 AM.