Thread: Fein Turbo 1 Dust Extractor

Fein Turbo 1 Dust Extractor

Hey all - I was hoping to get some feedback regarding the Fein Turbo 1 dust extractor. I am a strictly hobbyist woodworker, and am looking to move on from your standard shop vac to something a little better quality to get the dust fines before they hit the air (and my lungs lol).

Tools I plan on using this with: Palm sander, handheld router, future track saw, general car vacuuming, standalone disc/belt sander

The price tag is very friendly at $320 on Amazon for 5.8 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

My other option would be the lowest end Festool model at $400 but it is only 4 gallons

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-CLEAN...ls%2C78&sr=1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winter View Post
    Hey all - I was hoping to get some feedback regarding the Fein Turbo 1 dust extractor. I am a strictly hobbyist woodworker, and am looking to move on from your standard shop vac to something a little better quality to get the dust fines before they hit the air (and my lungs lol).

Tools I plan on using this with: Palm sander, handheld router, future track saw, general car vacuuming, standalone disc/belt sander

The price tag is very friendly at $320 on Amazon for 5.8 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

My other option would be the lowest end Festool model at $400 but it is only 4 gallons

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-CLEAN...ls%2C78&sr=1-6

I would suggest the CT26 if you can swing it due to the options for accessories like the boom arm, dust deputy, hose dock, sustainer stacking ect. If you can’t swing that I would get the Fein Turbo 1 and add a dust deputy. You can even get generic cyclones on Amazon and EBay for like $25 if you are on a budget. The Turbo 1 comes with a 13 foot hose but I would order a Cen Tec 30ft or 20ft hose too. They come in handy and the Cen Tec hoses are very nice. You can find custom hose adaptors for all of your specific models of power tools that will allow you to use either the stock Fein hose or a Cen Tec hose without having to cobble things together. You can Google something like Makita track saw Cen Tec hose adaptors or Bosch 1617 hose adaptor and get the adaptors to make using your power tools with your Turbo 1 much friendlier.

I’ve used the FeinI for several years w/o any problems. Because it has a flat top it is relatively easy to mount a small Dust Deputy type separator and a three gallon bucket On the unit. I have not had to replace the bag and going up with the separator instead of out keeps it’s footprint small. And the Fein occasionally goes on sale, not so with festool.

Forget all those vacs and get this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Karcher-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

cheap as chips.

add this hose:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cen-Tec-Syste...&ts_id=3743711

and you're off to the races for a hundred less than that Fein and you'll have an upgraded hose to boot. I'd forget about a cyclone, separator , ect....... Just buy bags and empty them when full. It'll take a lot of bags to pay for a cyclone - and that decreases suction anyway.

I tried the fein. It wasn’t very well made, it wasn’t as quiet as they said and the suction wasn’t all that great either. I bought a ct15 before returning the fein to compare the two side by side. Huge difference. Ct15 is well made, quiet and powerful. To get hepa was around the same price

I've had the turbo I for 4 years, stock hose works great with both my TS75 and XL domino. I just use bags, and sometimes I vacuum out the bags with the dust collector. The auto on function is used almost exclusively. I am very happy with mine, but only compared it to the airplane-noisy Borg shop vacs, not with any festool vacs. Not sure about the comment above, but mine seems to be very well made and not very noisy (less noisy than the tools it serves-I cant tell if its running when using them). Maybe construction has changed in the last 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    I tried the fein. It wasn’t very well made, it wasn’t as quiet as they said and the suction wasn’t all that great either. I bought a ct15 before returning the fein to compare the two side by side. Huge difference. Ct15 is well made, quiet and powerful. To get hepa was around the same price
    I'm really leaning towards the ct15. I appreciate your feedback!

I have a CT15 and I love it, there was a youtube video where a guy went over the CT15 and the differences between that and the CT26 and it really sold me on the 15 if you don't need the Festool Bluetooth, it's a great vac for the money. I just wish they would have kept the original price at $350 but I think the just recently bumped it up to $400 but still even at that price I think it's probably the best value for the money.

I had a Fein about 20 years ago & it was a game changer, as I learned to sand with the hose attached.

It quit last year & they had changed the design about 8 or 10 years ago. The new ones had a tiny filter & for the extra $100 I got the Festool.

I've been using a Dust Deputy for years, too (I have 3 right now). All I have to do is remove the 5 gallon bucket to empty the dust, not mess with filters (but Festool makes a reusable dust bag, if you like). I attach a bungee to the hose about 5' up from the sander & hang the other end of the bungee to a ring in the ceiling. Makes it easy to move the sander without dragging the hose all over our tripping on it. Festool & DD sit behind the edge of my work table.

I've owned the Fein Turbo 2 w/full HEPA for about 7 years now. I put a Dust Deputy on top, and I almost never have to change the bags or the filter, and since the bags never need changing, I vacuum up everything, it's easier, better for my lungs and more thorough than sweeping.
    I've used that thing thousands upon thousands of times. Used the slaved power outlet on board, used all the attachments. I run it to the guard on my table saw while my main dust collection handles the cabinet below. I use it to vacuum out our smoker, do our garage, our cars, all kinds of things. Why not, the Dust Deputy grabs everything, so it's not like I'm filling super-expensive bags. Anyways, everything continues to work perfectly. Tons of suction, clean air.

Just got back from a week-long class at the Florida School of Woodworking. My bench had a CT15. It was much quieter than my Fein, but other than that, it was a child's toy, not a useful tool. Oh, it could handle a domino or something trivial like that, but my Fein has vastly greater suction power and capacity -- the stuff I do with my Fein would make the CT15 swoon in terror. Dust was escaping the CT15 every time I was sanding with an RO 150 (which BTW is a fantastic sander, wow).

Small sample size disclaimers, good luck with your decision!

Blog Entries
    I have an older Fein Turbo II and use it mainly for clean up of the shop, construction projects and the autos. It also works well for sucking up water from the floor. I have been very pleased with the amount of suction and how quiet it is compared to other shop vacuums.

I took a look at the specifications for the Festool unit you linked in your post and saw this very confusing language regarding the hose: "Non-Antistatic Suction Hose 1-1/16-Inch x 11-1/2-Feet, Disposable Filter Bag, Crevice Nozzle, Upholstery Tool"

Does Non-antistatic mean that it creates static build up???? If so I sure wouldn't advertise that.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, it's the vacuum itself that creates the static, which then 'could' be discharged through the hose.

The Fein hose is the same as the Festool one, in that when you're sucking dust, static can build up. If you look at any large dust collection system, that's common. Which is why they talk about running a copper wire thru your 6" hose.

Festool advertises this way, as they also sell an Anti-static hose, which is often purchased with their more expensive vacs. My CT 15 came with a gray plastic hose. The Anti-static Festool hose is nice, green covered cloth like.