Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress on 'the new me'.

Progress on 'the new me'.

I have always been a sucker for a really good deal. As such I ended up being quite the tool collector, especially a decade back with the last recession when tools were being sold at real bargains.

Anyway, yesterday I came along a CL ad for a decent looking Craftsman 12" band saw...runs good, just needs new blade. $25, and it is within a mile of me. The old me would have had it home by now. That is why I have 30 routers right now.

Proudly announcing that I never even made the call. After all I own three bandsaws anyway.

I know how trivial this sounds, but to me it is progress.

Then again, maybe it's because I don't own a truck anymore........nah.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Tiny steps Rick, tiny steps.
    Next you'll have to work on not looking through CL for old tools in the first place.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Good job Rick. Keep going.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Let's back up a step. 30 routers????? Really?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

A 12 step program for GAS...

(Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Well done. One day at a time ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Withdrawal is a slow process.
    Brian

Not accumulating stuff is un-American. Getting and keeping stuff you don’t need keeps our consumerist economy going. Do you really want to be labeled as being unpatriotic?

Where does your support group meet?

I wish you were my neighbor, I could just borrow your extra tools instead of buying my own

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Let's back up a step. 30 routers????? Really?

I am not up to Rick's level but I have about 20 routers. Mostly older models but still several newer models. When you see a PC 690 or Bosch 1650 for $40 how are supposed to pass that up? My justification is how much time I am saving on bit changes!

Most of them I picked up used. Before the new style compact routers were fashionable I picked up four small B&D routers about that size. They are really neat, but cheapo. They look like a Bosch Colt with two D handles, which makes them really nice to hold safely. I bought them separately for $20, two $10 and a $5. They each have a small round over or laminate trim bit...ready to go.

Some I got with table saws I bought and turned over. I remember getting a barely used Bosch kit with plunge and standard bases...the one with the wooden handles. The lady advertised it for $125, I think. Offered her $100 and she refused. Couple weeks later it is advertised at $80 and I bought it. I didn't tell her I had offered more earlier.

Got a DeWalt 621 at Lowes at closeout of $40. Display model missing a collet and another part. Called DeWalt to buy the parts and they sent them free. Another I could not pass up was a new PC 690 from Lowes for $40 NIB.

I could go on, but I don't want to sound like a tool collector.

On the other hand, I have a few router tables, which will be found in the classifieds someday. My first one cost 50 cents.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

It's hard. A few years ago one of the on-line auction houses had a commercial Rockwell radial arm saw (the one built like a tank) about 5 miles from my house. Nobody bid on it until the last few minutes. It received just one bid and sold for $25. Of course who knows how high they would have gone but I was so tempted to buy it. I have no use for one and just moving it (I think they said it weighed over 500lbs) would have been a pain. I even tried to talk myself into thinking I would sell it on Craig's list. But I resisted and have one less tool cluttering up my shop. Baby steps.

Well done. But be kind to yourself going forward because there is a high chance of a relapse.

I recently wanted to cleanup a bbq grill and restore it. Saw one like it for free that I could rob parts off. Then found another that had some different parts that were a bit better. So on and so forth. I now have 6 BBQ grills sitting in my workshop in various stages of disassembly. I gotta get these things out of here to make room for woodworking again...

Be strong my friend.

I'm not immune by any stretch. I think I personally keep Woodpeckers in business. One day I might use one of the 4 edge rules I bought, and haven't used once yet. All hanging on the wall in a nice rack.

3 bandsaw tension gauges. Who needs 3???

Much less the Leigh FMT Pro with accessories whose box I haven't even opened yet.

So I guess I go for variety, not quantity.

Where is this support group meeting again???
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.