Thread: Best wax

Best wax

Hi folks. I have a stereo rack that is finished in lacquer. I will be putting heavy audio equipment on it and the components will have rubber and sorbothane type footers. What wax would you recommend I put on the rack to protect it and help ensure that I can easily remove any residue from the component feet? I'm familiar with several waxes in woodworking and use Renaissance wax most often. Basically in this application, the item will not get getting much handling, and it will be covered by a lot of equipment, so appearance is less important that trying to protect from scratches and wear and tear and residue from the component footers damaging the rack. I'm guessing that means a harder wax, and so probably something with a heavier carnuba content? If so which are the ones you might recommend?

Thanks!

-dan
    Last edited by Dan Gaylin; 05-22-2022 at 4:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Those feet seem to stick no mater what. I use felt pads.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think I read somewhere the only wax "harder" than carnuba is lac wax, the stuff they take out of de-waxed shellac. You can get lac wax from Don's barn dot com that I know of domestic, probably other places too, but it is a bugger to buff out. If you can get to pretty with carnuba, I would lean towards felt feet as Maurice already suggested. I use Don's blend of lac and bee's wax on drawer slides; but I apply it with a heated iron, scrape with hardwood as it is starting to set and drink heavily when it is time to buff.

Thank you both. I've never heard of Lac wax before, want to check it out!

Best,

-Dan

Rubber feet almost always cause problems damaging the finish they sit on. Pure silicone, however, should not, nor should felt, as already recommended.

John