I am curious as to how you guys feel about the differences between spiral duct versus snap lock duct for dust collection purposes? With out considering the strength against collapse, but rather the performance characteristics only. I have a 5HP Grizzly double bag with a 6” inlet for the back part of my shop which will provide dust collection for 6 machines in a roughly 25ft x 25ft area. I use a larger 10hp unit with a 12” inlet for the main part of my shop. The main part of my shop that uses my 10hp unit is already plumbed and good. For purposes of this thread, it is my 5HP Grizzly that I am trying to consider spiral duct versus snap lock.

Assuming that the connection points between the individual sections of snap lock and the associated fittings are positioned where the direction of air flow will not snag on the lip of the mating piece, and assuming that the duct will not collapse, is snap lock that much of a down grade from spiral?

I wonder if the crimped ends of the snap lock could be cut off and the proper male and/or female spiral duct connectors could be use to join them together, thus eliminating the lip inside the duct system? Or if one could use spiral duct pipe and snap lock fittings by trimming off the crimped ends and using male or female spiral duct connectors?