Thread: 12" Craftsman Band Saw, 1938ish

12" Craftsman Band Saw, 1938ish

I have two versions of the Craftsman 12" band saw model 102.01121, and I will keep and restore one of them.
    They are slightly different from each other - one has hinged wheel covers, the other has the more typical system of securing the covers with a knurled knob on a threaded stem, similar to the Delta 14" band saws. Help me chose which one to keep!

The saw will be more of a curio to me than a working saw. A little bit of history.
    I've taken screenshots of the saws on the Vintage Machinery website, so these pics are not my actual saws - there are lots with the "knob / threaded stem" system, and one "not yet restored" saw with a hinged wheel cover, but you'll see what I mean.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.20.59 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.21.18 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.23.01 PM.jpg

Help me chose which saw to keep. I feel the hinged covers may be more convenient but the saw won't get heavy use, and the knurled knobs are cool.
    thanks, Mark

Blog Entries
    Those are neat old saws! I would keep both, assuming I had space. I keep a very fine blade on my antique Craftsman 10 inch for cutting bone and brass. I want another one to keep a fine wood blade on. The hinged covers is a nice feature. What year do you think yours are?
    Best Regards, Maurice

I'd pick the one that's already been restored and make any required minor tweaks to it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maurice, I'm not sure of the exact year of either saw, I think they came out in '38 and I don't know for how long they were made.
    Jim, neither saw has been restored, so it's a coin toss in that respect.
    Sorry, there isn't much to go on to choose between A or B, and I was hoping someone would say perhaps the hinged covers are rare, so there's that, or something about the knob one, but I don't have any more to give you. Heads or tails?

Sorry, I thought the one with the nice paint had been attended to.
    --

Working on two identical saws simultaneously won't exactly cost you twice the time. I would take them both apart, restore both and sell the one that doesn't "speak" to me. During the resto, one saw may give you insight into the other's problem area(s).

That's a good observation, John. I like that idea, honestly.
    --

Likewise, I like that idea. Thanks guys.