Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Options for Harvey Table Saw?

I didn't mention a slider earlier because of the specific question asked in the OP by the OP but since that's been broached...yea, that would be and is my personal preference, too. I'm truly "hating" being back on a c North American style cabinet saw in my temporary shop right now...I find it so limiting, particularly for crosscutting...and can't wait to get back on a slider once my shop building is up and ready. A short stroke slider has a similar footprint to a cabinet saw, especially once extra outfeed support, etc., is added to the latter. I love the precision and have adapted my workflow and habits over the years to better leverage a slider, too. I also find the format to be inherently safer than a cabinet saw since for many operations, no hands are anywhere near the blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I didn't mention a slider earlier because of the specific question asked in the OP by the OP but since that's been broached...yea, that would be and is my personal preference, too. I'm truly "hating" being back on a c North American style cabinet saw in my temporary shop right now...I find it so limiting, particularly for crosscutting...and can't wait to get back on a slider once my shop building is up and ready. A short stroke slider has a similar footprint to a cabinet saw, especially once extra outfeed support, etc., is added to the latter. I love the precision and have adapted my workflow and habits over the years to better leverage a slider, too. I also find the format to be inherently safer than a cabinet saw since for many operations, no hands are anywhere near the blade.
    Thanks, Jim.

I think I would like using a sliding table saw. But I really need my tools to be mobile and I don't think that will work with a slider.

Pat,

A short stroke slider is not more difficult to move around than a cabinet saw since it rests on the base, no extra post. People use either a three-point mobility kit or a four-wheeled platform/base. Larger units with longer carriage are not as easily moved.

J.

The standard height of most table saws are kind of too low for a router table in my opinion. Working on a router table that is the height of a table saw top is quite literally a pain in the back.

I don't know anything about Harvey tools but I would definitely recommend going for a 3hp. Kickbacks seem like they are more likely to happen on an underpowered saw. The blade slows and grabs the wood then kicks it back. A more powerful saw feels like it is powering through the cut instead of slowing and grabbing the board. This is just what I have noticed, no scientific backing to my observations.

20220305_215322.jpg

20220306_010813.jpg

Short stroke sliding table saws can be made portable. I have 6 casters rated at 900lbs each. It does take a heck of a big push to get this much mass moving though!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 05-23-2022 at 4:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Thanks, Jim.

I think I would like using a sliding table saw. But I really need my tools to be mobile and I don't think that will work with a slider.
    Mobility is not an issue for most short stroke sliders.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

$300 pallet jack and I can move my 8 1/2 slider just as easy as anything on built in casters.
    The Plane Anarchist