Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polyaspartic Garage Floor Coating?

Polyaspartic Garage Floor Coating?

I just bought a house and I would like to have the garage floor coated before I move in. Hello Garage is coming over tomorrow to give me an estimate for applying a Polyasparitic floor coating. It's advertised as being superior to epoxy floor coatings and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure how good that warranty is or how durable the coating is, but I do know it's expensive.

So, before I cough up thousands of dollars for this floor coating, does anyone have any knowledge or experience they can share about polyaspartic floor coating? I do know it's possible to buy the materials from a industrial supplier and do it myself. But it requires diamond grinding and a lot of other prep and I simply don't have time for that before I move into the house.

Yes, I plan to use my garage as my woodworking shop. It's a three car.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have done a several DIY epoxy garage floor coatings from various stores for several Clients. They are OK and I was able to cut the cost way down compared to the "professional" bids. The latest garage floor re-do I did was to put down solid vinyl Coin pattern flooring from The Home Depot. Hello Garage wants your money and it may be money well spent. If you are handy and capable, look into doing something yourself or finding a regular painter with experience doing floors.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I have a polyaspartec floor in my new shop. It’s great. I don’t know if it’s really any different than an epoxy floor but I think it’s less of a health risk for the installers. It’s pretty impervious to the elements. I’m very glad that I didn’t go with a wood floor.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I have a polyaspartec floor in my new shop. It’s great. I don’t know if it’s really any different than an epoxy floor but I think it’s less of a health risk for the installers. It’s pretty impervious to the elements. I’m very glad that I didn’t go with a wood floor.
    Thanks. Do you think the cost was worthwhile? I'm concerned my estimate is going to be something like $5,000.

Blog Entries
    5k might be low..... just say'n, I'd bet on $20 a square foot. I've got to do my daughter's new garage. But it will be 2 part epoxy.... done myself
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I paid $4.5 per square foot. They ground the floor first then put down one or two (I can't remember) coats of color, then 100% chip coverage and finally a top sealer coat. When they put the chips down they didn't just sprinkle a few around but literally cover the floor and then scrapped and swept of buckets of excess before top coating. They recommended that the chip size be no larger than 1/4" or the floor can get rough where the chips don't lay flat and want to stick up.
    $20/ft, that's crazy high for around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 05-20-2022 at 9:21 AM.
    The Plane Anarchist

You might want to look at the Polyaspartic coating for your daughter's new garage. You can do it yourself and all indicators are it's far superior to epoxy. As I stated above, I could technically do it myself, but I simply won't have time before I move in. Once I move in and have all my tools and vehicles in the garage, it would be very difficult.

I saw a video on the Shop Nation YouTube channel where he did the Polyapartic coating himself. That's a good reference.

I paid $4.5 per square foot. They ground the floor first then put down one or two (I can't remember) coats of color, then 100% chip coverage and finally a top sealer coat. When they put the chips down they didn't just sprinkle a few around but literally cover the floor and then scrapped and swept of buckets of excess before top coating. They recommended that the chip size be no larger than 1/4" or the floor can get rough where the chips don't lay flat and want to stick up.
    Thank you. That's very helpful.

Ditto on the install ...I paid 5.50sq.

15384801-A8A2-48A7-8BA8-FF28236519CA_1_201_a.jpeg ...three man crew and some serious dust collection equipment for the grinding process.

The Hello Garage guy did an estimate for me. It came out to just over $6.00 a square foot. That's a little expensive, but the primary reason I wanted to go with a pro was to get it done quickly before I move in. When I called, the rep said they could book two weeks out. Unfortunately, they are now booked more than a month out. So, there's really no reason for me to pay someone to do it. I will see if I can come up with a way to do it myself in sections once I'm moved in.

Thank for the help, everyone.

Blog Entries
    The Lady I did the solid vinyl garage flooring for did not want to use coating because of the smell and having to clear the whole area at once.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 7.25.15 PM.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

No experience with an epoxy floor yet, but I've finished a bunch of floors different ways, and am used to doing such work. Our rental place rents the same floor grinder the pros use. I'll use supplied air anyway for the grinding. I've decided to go with this stuff. They have good installation videos.

https://www.spartanepoxies.com/garag...m-3-car-garage

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The Lady I did the solid vinyl garage flooring for did not want to use coating because of the smell and having to clear the whole area at once.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 7.25.15 PM.jpg
    I'm starting to find this idea actually attractive vs painting/coating for my new shop, both for cost and for installation time. Three rolls of that and I'm done. Literally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    No experience with an epoxy floor yet, but I've finished a bunch of floors different ways, and am used to doing such work. Our rental place rents the same floor grinder the pros use. I'll use supplied air anyway for the grinding. I've decided to go with this stuff. They have good installation videos.

https://www.spartanepoxies.com/garag...m-3-car-garage

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm starting to find this idea actually attractive vs painting/coating for my new shop, both for cost and for installation time. Three rolls of that and I'm done. Literally.
    Have also thought along the same lines for the shop-I-can't-quite-pull-the-trigger-on-yet. Are you thinking of gluing the mat down or letting it float? I'd prefer to float it, but I'm concerned about seams bulging in hot weather when heavy machines and benches keep the mat from being able to move.

Edit: Or maybe since I intend to have conditioned space, maybe this is a non-issue?
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 05-22-2022 at 12:00 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher