Thread: Hinge Lid Boxes from Scrap

Blog Entries

Hinge Lid Boxes from Scrap

I ran into a finishing problem on a recent project. While I percolate on how to get out of it I used up some scrap for some boxes.

Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (103).jpgJewelry Boxes 20220423 (106).jpgJewelry Boxes 20220423 (100).jpgJewelry Boxes 20220423 (101).jpg

They are about 7" x 9" x 6" high. Walnut dovetailed cases, maple or red heart floating tops and bottoms, maple, leopard wood, or red heart pulls, lift out trays.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Boy oh boy, I always love your work Glenn! In this case, the asymmetrical knobs really catch my eye, and how the grain carries to the lid is very nice. I especially like the one with the cherry? lid
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    Very good looking boxes, (box falls short), ... lovely artwork!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Glen, Those are beautiful ! I see them as Tea Caddys, precious casks for precious tea, which in earlier days was always locked and often
    kept in locked cabinet. I find the knobs a bit too whimsical for such serious stuff ! Great work.

Blog Entries
    Really nice boxes. Tell us more about how the floating tops are fitted into the banding of the lids.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Good thing you didn't scrap that "scrap"...nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Really nice boxes. Tell us more about how the floating tops are fitted into the banding of the lids.
    I use part of the profile of a raised panel bit for the top profile on the 3/4" material. The second shot shows a previous box project lid and a piece of test scrap.

Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (16).jpg . Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (18).jpg

I then use an FTG blade on the tablesaw to cut the joinery. First a groove to provide the overlay portion of the profile.

Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (19).jpg

I then lower the blade and cut the bottom portion of that profile shorter to make the tongue that fits in the grooves on the box sides.

Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (20).jpg . Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (24).jpg . Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (25).jpg

I also use a bowl bit to provide a carved look under the lid leaving only 1/4" of material for the bulk of the floating panel's surface.

Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (46).jpg

This reduces weight and helps things balance well when the stop hinge function engages when opening the lid. The bottoms do not get this treatment and act as a ballast.

Jewelry Boxes 20220423 (96).jpg

This box is smaller than the other three due to the size of the scraps on hand. I will keep this one near the door to the shop. It will hold my Rx shop glasses, cleaning cloth, and other personal paraphernalia .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-19-2022 at 11:10 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow looks great. That's a lot of work to do those floating tops. Congratulations on developing that technique.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Impressive use of scrap wood. ….corner detail, inspiring!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting details of the lid construction, I may borrow that idea in the future.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute