Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Screw chuck recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Opinions vary. I have 20 Teknatool chucks in four "flavors", some bought used, and I'm extremely happy with their quality. I've measured runout, etc. And yes, I've used Vicmark, Oneway, and other chucks.

After initial satisfaction, I stuck with Nova partly because all the jaws are all interchangeable, except for the 12 screw jaws on the big Nova Titan chuck.

I haven't bought any new in the last three years so if the quality has gone down I don't know about it.

JKJ
    While I don't know (or want to know ) why you have twenty, IMO VicMarc machining and tolerances are better, the backplate and insert are much more refined as well.
    i like my Novas, they get the job done and the price is always good. The slop in the jaw slides is more than it should be and the inserts are a joke.
    It's always a balancing act. there is no single brand that can tick all the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    While I don't know (or want to know ) why you have twenty, ….
    Don’t worry, I won’t give my reasons (again). The fact is he whose circumstance doesn’t make many chucks useful certainly doesn’t need them.

I actually have just eighteen Nova chucks in my shop now - two are on long-term loan to a brilliantly creative, promising, but temporarily financially challenged young turning student of mine. It was the existence of Nova inserts that made it easy to use the chucks on a lathe with a different spindle thread, a lathe donated by a generous person. Inserts also make it simple to use a chuck on one of my mini lathes as needed. All is good.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    It was the existence of Nova inserts that made it easy to use the chucks on a lathe with a different spindle thread, a lathe donated by a generous person. Inserts also make it simple to use a chuck on one of my mini lathes as needed. All is good.

JKJ
    I understand the concept of inserts, it's nothing new IMO.
    I don't care for the Nova OEM inserts. How they fit, the eased off internal threads, etc.
    Here is what I've done
    Nova insert.jpg101_3975_renamed_21132.jpg101_3982_renamed_88.jpg101_3983.jpgProper Fit.jpgCompare-2.jpg

I don't care for the Nova OEM inserts. How they fit, the eased off internal threads, etc.
    Here is what I've done
    Nova insert.jpg101_3975_renamed_21132.jpg101_3982_renamed_88.jpg101_3983.jpgProper Fit.jpgCompare-2.jpg
    Edward

From your photos I can see that you have reduced the length of the thread on the left insert and this has allowed it to seat on the back of the chuck.

Other than tidiness, has that solved any other issues? Perhaps there has already been a thread on that here on the Creek.

I remember about a decade ago there were issues with Nova inserts and runout. All of my Nova chucks predated that, so I didn't follow that closely, but my understanding is that it got sorted out.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I understand all the advantages mentioned for screw chucks except one - Why can't you remount a bowl, especially a dried bowl in a scroll chuck? I've done it and the results seem to be fine, especially if you mark the tenon so that you remount with that mark opposite the same numbered jaw (like #1).

With wetter wood turning I can see that maybe it's a little easier to get the blank/bowl remounted with less runout but usually it can be re-rounded fairly easy. I don't turn everyday and I would imagine there are a lot of situations I haven't encountered in about 5 years of turning, but it's hard for me to justify spending the kind of money on a Glaser Screw Chuck when my Nova Woodworm screw, faceplates, and my spurs work well, sometimes with tail end support and with smaller pieces without.

I'm probably missing something here and the Glaser screw chuck seems to be a well-made cool accessory, but I'm just trying to figure out whether it really adds much to my capabilities.

Randy — A dedicated screw chuck is more efficient and more accurate than a scroll chuck. As you know, you can remove and then remount a blank in a scroll chuck. But, when you do, remounting almost always puts the blank on a new center. The difference may be slight, but it is almost always greater than you’d see with a screw chuck.

In theory (and in practice) you can get the same ‘true-to-center’ remounting by using a woodworm screw mounted in your scroll chuck. A dedicated screw chuck is more efficient in that you don’t have to find the screw and mount it in the chuck. It’s also less expensive than buying another scroll chuck to use just for this purpose.

Are screw chucks essential? No. They can be very nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    Edward

From your photos I can see that you have reduced the length of the thread on the left insert and this has allowed it to seat on the back of the chuck.

Other than tidiness, has that solved any other issues? Perhaps there has already been a thread on that here on the Creek.

I remember about a decade ago there were issues with Nova inserts and runout. All of my Nova chucks predated that, so I didn't follow that closely, but my understanding is that it got sorted out.
    Basically all I did is to make it like just about every other major brand out there, not a big deal.
    I prefer to have the mating surface to be at the back of the chuck not inboard like the OEM design. I also prefer to have the threads totally enclosed. This setup provides a more secure and accurate mechanical connection IMHO.
    I can't say if it solved any problems other than the annoying internal thread they have. After I changed the first one shortly (a few days) after purchase, all the others were changed before use.

There was a dust up a while back with people buying generic inserts and not understanding why their chuck did not run true. It is a simple fix as I showed in the photos but too many jumped to conclusions and would not buy generic inserts even if they fit and would only buy OEM inserts, even if they were inferior IMO.
    Last edited by Edward Weber; 06-30-2022 at 4:30 PM.

Basically all I did is to make it like just about every other major brand out there, not a big deal.
    I prefer to have the mating surface to be at the back of the chuck not inboard like the OEM design. I also prefer to have the threads totally enclosed. This setup provides a more secure and accurate mechanical connection IMHO.

I can't say if it solved any problems other than the annoying internal thread they have. After I changed the first one shortly (a few days) after purchase, all the others were changed before use.
    Fair enough!

If it annoys you every time you look at it, better to just fix it and have the satisfaction of having that done.

In my case I fettle the chucks before using them, especially the VMs (the Novas are much better), to remove the sharp edges waiting to lacerate me at 2k rpm. It takes a while to do but once done I don't have to think anymore about those spinning gouges next to my knuckles!
    Neil

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I understand all the advantages mentioned for screw chucks except one - Why can't you remount a bowl, especially a dried bowl in a scroll chuck?
    For what I do I only use a screw to mount small to medium sized pieces to turn the bottoms (face rings for larger pieces) then use chuck jaws to hold the piece in a foot recess to finish the insides. On the occasional more complicated piece I might re-chuck in the jaws a number of times.

I have no need to remount on the screw, but others may have a different process for what they are making.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Randy — A dedicated screw chuck is more efficient and more accurate than a scroll chuck. As you know, you can remove and then remount a blank in a scroll chuck. But, when you do, remounting almost always puts the blank on a new center. The difference may be slight, but it is almost always greater than you’d see with a screw chuck.

In theory (and in practice) you can get the same ‘true-to-center’ remounting by using a woodworm screw mounted in your scroll chuck. A dedicated screw chuck is more efficient in that you don’t have to find the screw and mount it in the chuck. It’s also less expensive than buying another scroll chuck to use just for this purpose.

Are screw chucks essential? No. They can be very nice to have.
    So, I guess after the screw chuck idea bounced around in my head all this time and I put one on my Christmas list for this year, I recently came up with another question. What is the difference between a screw chuck and owning multiple wood screws for your chucks (Nova chucks for example) and remounting the wood screw in the chuck if needed. The screw would still be in the same center. I would guess the first answer might be that a screw chuck is stronger because the screw is threaded in the chuck and the wood screw is held by the jaws. In medium sized pieces, especially pieces which are being remounted to finish turn, I can't imagine the stress on the wood screw in the chuck is that great though. I like the idea of a screw chuck but it would definitely be a more efficient use of my money to buy several woodscrews for my existing chucks.

What is the difference between a screw chuck and owning multiple wood screws for your chucks (Nova chucks for example) and remounting the wood screw in the chuck if needed.
    Very little difference, IME.

I have at least half a dozen screws that I can leave in individual pieces if I need to.

Likewise, I have half a dozen faceplate rings (for 4" or 5" chucks) that I can use that way.

The faceplates rings are easier and quicker to remount precisely than the screws.

The screws can mount smaller pieces than the rings.

Depending on where the faceplate ring screw holes are positioned that can be an issue with some pieces, like hollow forms.

Some of my screws and faceplate rings can be fixed on a number of pieces that have been put aside for many months. That would be an extra cost if all of them were mounted on dedicated screw chucks.

I have nothing against the humble all in one screw chuck. I used them for many years and still have a few of the original ones kicking around somewhere in a bottom drawer, but they don't get to come out of their retirement home very often nowadays...
    Last edited by Neil Strong; 10-11-2022 at 7:02 PM.
    Neil

My Vicmarc chucks and I think my Nova chuck came with wood screws.

While I can understand that maybe a very large blank might benefit from mounting with a screw chuck rather than wood screw held by a chuck, I would think that mounting with a faceplate would be a better more secure option; or maybe a faceplate ring if remounting is a necessity. However, I've mounted up to 10" diameter blanks with the Nova woodscrew held by my Nova chuck jaws with no problems. I have only turned larger bowls a couple of times and just used a faceplate.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stephan View Post
    My Vicmarc chucks and I think my Nova chuck came with wood screws.
    You and your Vicmarcs are right, i.e., if you bought the full Nova chuck and default jaws and not a 'companion' chuck that comes without the standard 2"/50mm jaws, etc.
    Last edited by Neil Strong; 10-13-2022 at 6:54 PM.
    Neil

While I can understand that maybe a very large blank might benefit from mounting with a screw chuck rather than wood screw held by a chuck.
    I don't think the screw chuck is any better at holding a blank than a wood screw held by the standard chuck.

There may be differences in the holding capacity of different screws (as discussed here on the forum), but that is a separate matter.

Good on you Randy for reminding us that the old faceplate chuck is more than adequate for the task. Perhaps not just quite as quick as 'dynamically' mounting the blank on a revolving screw, but quick enough nowadays with the torque screw functions on battery drills and self threading hex headed screws.
    Neil