Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Screw chuck recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    I don't think the screw chuck is any better at holding a blank than a wood screw held by the standard chuck.
    Just saw this video of coring blanks held with just a screw chuck. Keep watching through the 6:20 mark to see how big the blank are before he begins coring them...

https://youtu.be/EHhSaFkudSQ?t=308

The screw on that chuck is bit larger than the standard ones, but had no problem holding that blank.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    Just saw this video of coring blanks held with just a screw chuck. Keep watching through the 6:20 mark to see how big the blank are before he begins coring them...

https://youtu.be/EHhSaFkudSQ?t=308

The screw on that chuck is bit larger than the standard ones, but had no problem holding that blank.
    Neil, that is a ripper of a coring machine; great find.

4kW of power, nice. I also noted the extremely solid coring arms in a triangular shape for rigidity, I doubt there would be much flexing of the coring arms as they penetrate; even the 48cm coring shouldn't be a coring arm twisting problem as it would be so rigid as to effectively eliminate flexing.

Looks like the screw is around the 20mm diameter mark, which for the size of the blanks he's doing is easy going. I've used Vicmark faceplate rings for larger blanks of around 65cm, but find that the Vicmark standard screw supplied with their chucks has worked perfectly well with 50cm blanks; getting them onto the lathe is another story.

IMG_20210213_183424.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I've used Vicmark faceplate rings for larger blanks of around 65cm, but find that the Vicmark standard screw supplied with their chucks has worked perfectly well with 50cm blanks; getting them onto the lathe is another story.

IMG_20210213_183424.jpg
    Yeah, the large blanks are getting heavier every year!

I really struggle with them nowadays... this piece of blackwood was just under the 18" and I only just managed to lift and secure it on the lathe by myself.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...