Thread: 18 foot 4/4 cherry for kayak

18 foot 4/4 cherry for kayak

Any boat builders have sources for lumber longer than 16’. I am asking for a friend who has built two canoes and wants to build two 18’ kayaks.

Blog Entries
    The Epoxy glued scarf joint is a common technique for boat building. Softwood dimensional lumber is commonly available in long lengths. Long hardwoods can be hard to find.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The Epoxy glued scarf joint is a common technique for boat building. Softwood dimensional lumber is commonly available in long lengths. Long hardwoods can be hard to find.
    My friend knows about scarf joints and wants to avoid them for a decent percentage of the strips. He has not had much luck with his lumber sources. Just thought I would ask.

Blog Entries
    Cherry is not usually considered a boat building wood. I can imagine it being very pretty on a boat. There are good resources on both coasts, as well as around the Great Lakes and North Woods.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I don't know how much Cherry this place may have on hand, but I do know that they sell Oak & Walnut up to 20 feet long which is the length of their sawmill. http://www.hickoryandoak.com/

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Any boat builders have sources for lumber longer than 16’. I am asking for a friend who has built two canoes and wants to build two 18’ kayaks.
    Green wood ok? You might check with Woodmizer - they keep a list of those willing to saw for others. May find one near with the right equipment.

A woodmizer can saw any length by bolting on rail sections. I bought one extra section for mine to allow sawing up to about 17 ft. Another section would add 6’ capability I think.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Green wood ok?...
    Doubt that would be an option for kayak building. He'd want kiln dried, clear, straight-grain material.

This is why cedar and spruce are often chosen for such projects, as long lengths are more readily available.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks guys. I will pass this info along.

I believe Western Red Cedar is the preferred material for strip canoes and kayaks.

Cherry would definitely be a heavy option unless just for a rub rail or similar. I think the only way to get 18' cherry would be to have it custom sawn, and it would be hard to find a straight-grained log of that length.

Blog Entries
    I have two tall skinny ones that will eventually be harvested. Unfortunately our mill is only 16 feet.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    This is why cedar and spruce are often chosen for such projects, as long lengths are more readily available.
    I am ashamed to say that I am just getting around to reading "The Boys In The Boat" by Daniel James Brown. Chapter 12 "The Parts That Really Matter" pp - 213 - 215 are very touching. "Sure I can make a boat"... "Only God can make a tree".
    Best Regards, Maurice