Thread: basement shop humidity level setting

basement shop humidity level setting

Curious, for those who have basement shops, what level humidity do you set your humidifier on for the summer? thanks Brian
    Brian

I have had basement shops in the last few houses and always needed a dehumidifier. Colder air in the basement can hold more moisture than warmer air.

With that said, I always try to keep it around 50% RH. Year round. So far everything has been great. No checking or major change in wood size.

Since I exclusively buy kiln dried wood, I don't need much drying to occur so I feel like 50% RH is alright.

Even with that, I still let the wood acclimate for a month before working with it.

Hope this help.

Taker a look at electric heat pump water heaters. They have a compressor that condenses water, and dumps it in a drain. They are more efficient than conventional water heaters. So, the energy you would use to dry out your cellar is also being used to heat your hot water.

The down side is that they are computerized, and you know what happens when the circuit board fails. In Massachusetts the State is subsidizing these water heaters, because they produce so much less carbon pollution than natural gas or propane.

I run mine as conventional during the heating season, so it doesn't cool the basement. It also saves wear and tear in the compressor. The cellar is dry enough in the winter with no dehumidifier. In the shop I use a dehumidifier for heat in the fall.

Blog Entries
    50% here also.
    NOW you tell me...

I keep mine set at 50% also
    Still waters run deep.

I've never needed to run a humidifier in the summer. Might be nice, actually!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Curious, for those who have basement shops, what level humidity do you set your humidifier on for the summer? thanks Brian
    Zero, I live in an area with high summer humidity, we don’t need to add humidification, I doubt if you do either living in NC?

Air conditioning keeps the basement shop humidity at a good level through the summer……Regards, Rod

Surely he meant to say “de-humidifier”, not humidifier.
    Still waters run deep.

I dehumidify to 55% in summer / NJ
    Thanks,
    Sal

A wine cellar should be between 50- 70% RH. 60% is considered ideal. Too dry and the corks will dry out and leak air in.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-25-2022 at 9:42 AM.

You don’t want to run a humidifier in a wood shop. Especially in a basement. Get a dehumidifier and keep your humidity at or below 50% as most are suggesting, You could add an air conditioner and it would serve to pull some of that humidity out of the air.

I run my dehumidifier setting at 35% in the summer months.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I run my dehumidifier setting at 35% in the summer months.

it must run constantly