Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID & advice - Robland slider

ID & advice - Robland slider

My neighbor is needing to get rid of his 10' Robland sliding table saw. I have three questions

Can anyone help me identify it?

Should I consider it?

What's the price of a comparable new saw?

I ran the numbers into Google but came up with nothing - which is the model #? He bought it new, hasn't used it much, and other than the bent axle for the handwheel, it's in very nice shape. I am biased towards the quality of machines and ease of adjustability of SCM, Oliver, etc. Will a Robland disappoint? Is it a "budget" commercial saw? He said he'll make it worth my while; he just wants it gone. And he has it literally next door and can bring it over with his forklift.

IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2622.jpg
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Like it says on the tag, it is made in Belgium, not Asia....so that's a plus.

Laguna used to sell their equipment, mostly combo machines.

It has the better tubular fence rail, and a nice blade guard. Takes a 10/12" blade with a standard 30 MM arbor. Looks pretty decent to me.

I looked on Robland.com, and found a lot of info. They sell 1,000 machines annually, and the Z300 series looks a lot like the one you show. Easy to look up.

Not expert, but I think it is maybe a small step down from MM machines, but sure better than a lot of others. It is a 2013 model, and I would grab it if it is reasonably priced.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-17-2022 at 2:45 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I had a Robland full size combination machine for 2-3 years. I bought it new. I think this saw is fine for what it is. I only sold the Robland because workload increased. quality wise I think they are ok. SCM is SCM, you would be paying $$ for that name tag and the feel-good factor.

Honestly, that looks like a very nice machine, similar in size to the SCM/Minimax S315WS that I owned. The current version of the S315WS (only 10' slider now) is well north of $11K new for comparison.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Martin USA is the distributor here. I would think their standards are reasonable high to be involved. Granted that occurred more recently than the machine in question, but I've never heard anything bad about robland.
    From 01.01.2019, MARTIN Woodworking Machines will be the official general importer and service partner of ROBLAND, the Belgian manufacturer for standard machinery. The wellestablished engineering company, founded in 1968, is known in Europe for its state-of-the-art and yet affordable machinery. In addition to sliding table saws ROBLAND is a leading producer of shapers, planers and combined planers. The machine manufacturer from Bruges exclusively produces its quality machines in its own factory in Belgium.

In addition to ROBLAND, MARTIN Woodworking Machines also represents other renowned European manufacturers such as WEBER, GANNOMAT, BARTH, AIGNER and AL-KO and above all, of course, the products of the German parent company MARTIN. Thanks to this variety, MARTIN Woodworking Machines is able to supply almost all exclusive woodworking and furniture manufacturers with machinery of the highest quality.

A neighbor has a similar Robland saw (8') and is happy with it. I haven't used it but it looks to be on a par with my Paoloni and the MiniMax line for overall build quality. I would say it is a "budget" sliding table saw compared to some but that doesn't mean it isn't capable. If it runs and you can get it for "just wants it gone" money you can't get hurt too bad.

There is an online Robland group that is pretty active: https://groups.io/g/roblandx31 I have the planer, jointer mortising machine and it is OK. I suspect that the Mini-max or Felder is a nicer machine, but mine does the job. -Howard

Blog Entries
    If it's cheap and easy to move in, what is the downside, assuming it's in good condition.

This is a bit tough to say but you should get that machine very, very cheap. It is or will be an orphan. I looked at one in Virginia about 8 years ago and almost bought it. It was in great shape and had little use. Before I bought it I called Laguna to ask a couple of questions about the saw model. I was told there would be $75 or $90 "consulting charge" to be able to talk to a technician. I couldn't believe, I was furious but did not react with anger; I just told the young lady to "tell Torbin I won't be buying anymore of his machines." She said to hold on and connected me to a technician who answered my questions. I don't know if they still do this but I have not called or talked to them again, nor will I.

Now, the machine is probably great, if I were you I would buy it. But I wouldn't pay even half the price of similar SCM or Minimax machine. Because of low volume I would be concerned about parts availability and service will close to non-existent. But if you are self reliant and can do google at a high level go for it. Either way good luck,

John, Robland is part of the Martin USA group now, not Laguna.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hardly used ,made in Belgium and right next door ,oh and cheap. .Jonathan this is your chance to find out if a slider will speed up your work. My guess is once you own and use it and figure out what you have been missing you will never go back to the way you work now. I have my own business doing pretty much the same stuff you are into. My own journey into sliders started with an Excalibur sliding table on my Unisaw. The next step was an old Minimax Sc2 with a 5' stroke. I now own a Felder k700s. Took me about 5 minutes with the sliding table to realize my world had changed forever. Every step up was better than the machine before. Good luck and I wish I had neighbors like you.

John....some advice.

I am a computer idiot, and I just found out, in less than two minutes, exactly where that saw someone wants gone is located, right down to the unit number.

I once lost a smokin' deal on an antique car by asking the internet too many questions and overthinking it. When I called the owner, it had just sold to some guy who heard about it on the internet.

Just sayin'.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    John....some advice.

I am a computer idiot, and I just found out, in less than two minutes, exactly where that saw someone wants gone is located, right down to the unit number.

I once lost a smokin' deal on an antique car by asking the internet too many questions and overthinking it. When I called the owner, it had just sold to some guy who heard about it on the internet.

Just sayin'.
    I'm genuinely curious how you did that? I tried putting the badge ID number into Roblands serial number finder, but that didn't work.

If someone else buys it, then I've got the answer I needed!
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Update: I'm waiting to hear if the saw can be powered up, I can't remember if my neighbor has 3phase right now or not.

Also, I'm measuring just how much room this thing will take up. with 130" carriage, that's over 20' length. The width with just the outrigger arm is over 8', maybe more? Can anyone confirm how wide this thing will be all setup?

I appreciate everyone's input. Even though it may be a great deal for the saw itself, there's still significant time required to get a space setup for it, move it in, hook it up, get everything adjusted and dialed in, fix the bent handwheel, possibly track down missing pieces, and add a dust collection drop. Sure, I'd have these things for any saw I get, I just want to make sure I'm not buying 1000kg scrap.

I've never contacted Martin USA before, so I don't know what to expect, but initial opinion is that they suck. I sent them an email asking if documents are available for the saw and never heard back. With SCM I've had general good response from sales and tech. Having good support is important to me since I use my machines for a living, if I need a part overnight I need a response quickly.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    Update: I'm waiting to hear if the saw can be powered up, I can't remember if my neighbor has 3phase right now or not.

Also, I'm measuring just how much room this thing will take up. with 130" carriage, that's over 20' length. The width with just the outrigger arm is over 8', maybe more? Can anyone confirm how wide this thing will be all setup?

I appreciate everyone's input. Even though it may be a great deal for the saw itself, there's still significant time required to get a space setup for it, move it in, hook it up, get everything adjusted and dialed in, fix the bent handwheel, possibly track down missing pieces, and add a dust collection drop. Sure, I'd have these things for any saw I get, I just want to make sure I'm not buying 1000kg scrap.

I've never contacted Martin USA before, so I don't know what to expect, but initial opinion is that they suck. I sent them an email asking if documents are available for the saw and never heard back. With SCM I've had general good response from sales and tech. Having good support is important to me since I use my machines for a living, if I need a part overnight I need a response quickly.
    I am not in the USA so I cant comment on the service/parts etc, I'd assume you guys have more parts than rest of the world (especially right here in NZ!)

the problem you describe, exist with any panel saw, you will need time to setup. If I am in a situation where I need a panel saw and its cheap. I will buy this one. I am actually on my way to buy a snap up a panel saw, they want it gone.