Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How to use a "rub collar" (bearing) on a shaper

  1. #1

    How to use a "rub collar" (bearing) on a shaper

    I bought an Amana sanding drum (61293) for my Hammer C3-31 shaper - seems to work fine. I have some repetitive pieces to make, and thought it would speed it up to use a pattern and bearing. Amana sells a "ball bearing rub collar" (61596), so I bought that.

    What am I missing, here? The spindle seems too short to hold both the sanding drum and the bearing. Is it just that my spindle is too short, and this would work on a different shaper?

    Second, even if the spindle were tall enough, how is this supposed to go on? The bearing is 1.25" ID, and the spindle 1.25" OD. Seems like having to freeze the spindle before installation would be a huge PITA - I figured it would just slip on....

    Third, $70 for a plain old ball bearing? :/
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    3,024
    Just guessing at the scale but that looks like a short spindle. normally the bearing would just stack above or below the cutter or sanding drum to do what you want.

    You need either a longer spindle or shorter sanding drum I'm thinking.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I bought an Amana sanding drum (61293) for my Hammer C3-31 shaper - seems to work fine. I have some repetitive pieces to make, and thought it would speed it up to use a pattern and bearing. Amana sells a "ball bearing rub collar" (61596), so I bought that.

    What am I missing, here? The spindle seems too short to hold both the sanding drum and the bearing. Is it just that my spindle is too short, and this would work on a different shaper?

    Second, even if the spindle were tall enough, how is this supposed to go on? The bearing is 1.25" ID, and the spindle 1.25" OD. Seems like having to freeze the spindle before installation would be a huge PITA - I figured it would just slip on....

    Third, $70 for a plain old ball bearing? :/
    Those bearings run tight. I have one I had to open up to fit one of my shapers. Also your spindle is too short for that setup. 5"-5.25" is pretty common under the nut on a 1.25" spindle.

  4. #4
    Got it, thanks guys. I'm pretty new to shapers, overall, so wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something stupid, here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,374
    Any ballbearing that is inch size will cost extra, but they reamed you. You can not drill the races. Grinding only. You could try a abrasive rotary expanding hone. I tried that on one cutter for my shaper. No change, so I put it on a drill and finger spun it a minute or so. Now it slips on pretty easy.
    I would return it and buy a slip fit bearing. sounds like they sold you a press fit or intrerference fit one instead.
    Bill D

    Is 1654 the bearing number?

    https://thebigbearingstore.com/1654-...ing-1-25-bore/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-17-2022 at 11:12 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Any ballbearing that is inch size will cost extra, but they reamed you. You can not drill the races. Grinding only. You could try a abrasive rotary expanding hone. I tried that on one cutter for my shaper. No change, so I put it on a drill and finger spun it a minute or so. Now it slips on pretty easy.
    I would return it and buy a slip fit bearing. sounds like they sold you a press fit or intrerference fit one instead.
    Bill D

    Is 1654 the bearing number?

    https://thebigbearingstore.com/1654-...ing-1-25-bore/
    Might be the bearing, might be the spindle, might be a combination.
    Screenshot_20220517-111153_Gallery.jpg

  7. #7
    Just wanna say thanks for making this thread Dan, I got a new-to-me shaper recently and have had similar questions. I'm glad you took the $70 hit so I don't have to. (Hopefully you can return it or at least make it work!)

  8. #8
    Ha, glad to have helped, Bert Bizarrely, the bearing I bought "new" from a 3rd party Amazon seller (RouterBitWorld), but it came with the bag clearly cut open and taped back shut, and sawdust all over it, so it was clearly used. So I returned it, anyways.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,374
    I was thinking wrong. there is no such thing as a slip fit bearing. It is the shaft undersize that makes it a slip fit. Did you write down the number before returning?
    Bill D

  10. #10
    Years ago “rub bearing “ was only used for non ball bearing (often shop made), wooden “bearings “….coated with bees wax. I’ve used them,
    but that was a while back !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 05-17-2022 at 1:08 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Years ago “rub bearing “ was only used for non ball bearing (often shop made), wooden “bearings “….coated with bees wax. I’ve used them,
    but that was a while back !
    That's a great (and inexpensive) idea! Thanks!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    10,860
    Hi Dan, yes you need a taller spindle, and there’s something wrong with the bearing, they are accurate however they just slide on.

    I presume you have the curve guard for your shaper?

    Regards, Rod

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    That's a great (and inexpensive) idea! Thanks!
    A ring fence takes a bit more finess to use, but it very flexible.

    The shaft on the shaper should be machined to ISO h7 standards which can be right on the money or a bit under and sometimes the tooling is a bit larger than the nominal dimensions, but standard ball bearings aren't necessarily designed to go on a shaper spindle easily, so if they're selling a regular bearing, and not one designed for an easy fit on a spindle moulder shaft, that might be a problem.
    Last edited by brent stanley; 05-17-2022 at 4:07 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •