Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone have experience with Sheds Unlimited?

Honestly, I've never seen a post frame structure with a truss spacing more than 4'. I would imagine it's possible for something small or for when there are unique and heavier trusses, such as for simulating post and beam, but 4' pretty much seems to be the standard for these structures. I've been in dozens of them in the past ten years. Post spacing is also generally setup in increments of 4' for the side walls for sure and when possible, on the gable ends, too, but there's more variability on the gable ends. A post frame builder will make something any size you want, but they "greatly prefer" 4' increments because of lumber standards and how things are commonly engineered.

Interestingly, in metal post frame buildings (think "car port") type for this example, the standard spacing appears to be 5' intervals for both posts and trusses. You can order with 4' (which I would have done had I chosen that building type) which is easier to do interior work because of standard material sizes, but it comes with additional cost. "Red iron" type structures have much longer spans...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Uplate:
    we found a general contractor willing to work with Sheds Unlimited. It’s a small design/build firm with gobs of experience. A bonus is that the GC lives a couple of blocks from us and his office is about a half mile away.

He will do the permitting and prepare the slab with water, sewer and electrical (enough to charge those electrical cars). Sheds will erect the shell. Then our contractor will come back and finish.

they project occupancy in about nine months. Our GC estimates that we are saving $75-100K by doing this. We are just happy to shorten the timeline.

That's good news, Roger. 9 months sounds about correct for an "expedited" type of building which to me includes both pre-panelized structures like you are buying as well as post frame. Both go up very quickly once the prep is done. The one difference in process is that for your building, the floor goes in first because it supports the building. For most post frame buildings, the floor goes in after the building is up. Otherwise...lickety split builds! But as you probably surmise, that's when the real fun starts...the inside can take awhile!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...