Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with Sheds Unlimited?

Blog Entries

Anyone have experience with Sheds Unlimited?

We are looking into building a 3 car garage with living space above.
    https://shedsunlimited.net/garages/l...ee-car-garage/

These folks will manufacture modules and erect the shell. Then it’s up to us to finish it.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 05-16-2022 at 1:53 PM.

That kind of outfit shipping can be a killer. So try to find a brand close to your build site.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    This is a pretty big building. The price includes assembly to a weather tight structure so delivery is baked in. I would love to know if any Creekers have any experience with this particular company.

Another big question is whether we would be saving any money. They provide us with a roughed in shell. It’s up to us to provide the foundation and run water, electrical and sewer. Then we have to put in HVAC, interior walls, cabinets and such. That stuff adds up.

I don't have any experience with that company. When you say saving money, relative to what? I'm sure if you did the work yourself it could be done for much less, but I don't know how it would compare to having a local builder put a building of that size up.

Blog Entries
    And don't forget the cost of permits. In some localities they can be a big chunk of the cost of building.

You might ask around your community to see if anyone else has a unit built by this company.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I don't have any experience with that company. When you say saving money, relative to what? I'm sure if you did the work yourself it could be done for much less, but I don't know how it would compare to having a local builder put a building of that size up.
    Relative to hiring a builder. This is a small project compared to other projects so lots of builders don’t want to mess with it.

Neighbor across the street built a two car garage. He priced the lumber, shingles etc about three years ago as prices started to rise. He contracted out the concrete and rough in wiring to a panel. Tough shed delivered and assembled the rough shell with a shingle roof for about 1,500 less then he would have paid for identical materials with his labor.
    They buy lumber by the truckload and get wholesale prices. I have heard it is often cheaper to have insulation blown in by a company then to buy it at the box store.
    Bill D

I communicated with two such firms including the one you ask about for alternatives for my shop building project. While they were more money than the post-frame design I selected, they were not unreasonable...but the costs are far higher than they used to be for obvious reasons. You are correct that these buildings are built-in place from pre-assembled panels. That makes them less expensive than on-site stick building in many cases and they go up very fast. Keep in mind that "you" are responsibility for site prep including concrete unless you specifically contract with them to obtain those services which they will typically subcontract and mark up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wonder how I would find someone like that here in the Minneapolis area? I am planning a 44x60 garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I wonder how I would find someone like that here in the Minneapolis area? I am planning a 44x60 garage.
    Tough Shed is somewhat nationwide as one example.
    --

Blog Entries
    So let’s say that I go with sheds unlimited for the weather tight shell. I still have to find people to do hvac, plumbing, electrical, inside framing………. I’m not a carpenter and I don’t want to be. Do you think a general contractor would be willing to finish it for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    So let’s say that I go with sheds unlimited for the weather tight shell. I still have to find people to do hvac, plumbing, electrical, inside framing………. I’m not a carpenter and I don’t want to be. Do you think a general contractor would be willing to finish it for me?
    If you want a GC to oversee the building process I might have the GC contract with Sheds Unlimited as a subcontractor. It sounds like a really nice building if you will have it fully finished with plumbing and HVAC. My building is going to be so basic I don't know if I can even afford a concrete slab initially.

It may be different where you are, but here it is hard to hire people to do things, they are all busy already. I didn't want to try to be a mason to repair the basement wall or an electrician to install the new service, but it was that or go without. I am learning to do new things, which is always good if not always entirely fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    That's going to be a big "maybe" with a side of "difficult", I suspect. Everyone is slammed right now, both due to activity, but also because of lack of available labor.
    --

Especially in the current climate it can take weeks for even a good subcontractor to fit you into his schedule. Managing that is the responsibility of a GC. Finding the right one is really important. He will have subs that will respond and backup subs if needed. Take your plans to the building department and ask who might be interested in it. They should know and they want your project to go well. Just be cautious as they may have vested interests. Also ask companies like sheds unlimited and tough shed for suggestions. Follow up with customers. Once you have the right GC on board most of your work is done. This will be an expensive year to build. If you are the GC these next few will be challenging years to build.