Thread: Wooden Try Square source?

Wooden Try Square source?

Hi, it’s been a long while since I’ve posted… and I was wondering if any tool maker has a version of the wood roubo try square for sale that was featured in a Popular Woodworking article by C. Schwarz some years ago.
    I am deep into work and home projects or I would make my own.
    Thanks in advance!
    Pete Pedisich

Pete, I believe that the idea was that you make these yourself. No one I know sells them.

This is mine. Great for lay out.

I modified one side to have better registration …

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,
    Thanks for replying… That is simply beautiful!
    Pete

I think that Crucible Tools makes a smaller version. -Howard

Blog Entries
    Shop made accessories like try squares, shooting boards, bench hooks, winding sticks and others can be very handy in the shop. Making them can teach a person many of the techniques regularly used in woodworking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Making them yourself also allows you to make them to fit your needs, style of work and/or budget. Not everyone needs a 12" try square or needs to add the decorative elements, etc. you can also choose your own species rather than going the traditional route.
    Like Jim says, they are a great teaching tool and a place to show off your craftsmanship in a daily use item. Having customized or personalized tools that are fit to you, tools that are comfortable to use, has a way of improving your skills.
    I've found over the years, that once you make that first tool or handle, one that you find yourself regularly reaching for above the others, you will soon find yourself making more personalized tools for yourself.